[7]

"So... if you don't mind me asking?"  Shoji speaks up, his voice cutting cleanly through his mask, "How does the Hero system work in your parts of the world?"  The boy feels an itch in his spine as the gazes of the four superiors settle on him, but he's curious; sue him. Shoji knows he isn't really one for up-front confrontations, but the workings of the other countries in terms of Hero Laws aren't really covered in U.A.'s curriculum.

"Ah," John starts, setting his hand on his chin and fixing his gaze on a distant point, "Well, here in Australia we follow the Charter Act, a law passed a few years ago after a huge incident in Sydney. Heroes are tolerated, but must be fully licensed and registered before taking any action. It's a lot like your system, but any people who aren't registered that even do so much as lift a finger are immediately detained, no questions asked.  Vigilantes are pretty much scorned, I'm afraid." Shoji drinks in the new information, humming quietly to himself. It is interesting to learn how closely they work in tandem... He draws on the similarities between that system and Japan's, and finds comfort in picking apart the details and thinking of the drawbacks of it. Midoriya and he were... a lot alike, in that sense.

"Are you a registered Hero?" Jiro asks, tilting her head. Although Shoji didn't even think about asking that question, he finds his curiosity peaked, and turns his full attention back to the Aussie.

"Oh no," John chuckles, scratching at the nape of his neck sheepishly, "I'm actually a priest."

"You're a priest?!" Kaminari exclaims, his eyes wide and his jaw practically on the floor. Shoji shakes his head at his classmate's ridiculous reaction, but admits that he is shocked by the confession as well.  John chuckles.

"I've been all over Australia, so when the government began to collapse I took it upon myself to help keep everything from imploding." He says, humbly downplaying his role. The students cast glances at each other, wholly convinced that the man's explanation isn't even half the story.

"That's awfully... righteous of you." Aizawa cuts in, raising a lazy eyebrow at the blond. His tone is not accusing in the slightest, merely curious as to his reasoning. Shoji is surprised to note his teacher's relaxed posture, and is intrigued by the other leaders' presences on him. Does he trust these people? Shoji isn't one to easily jump into situations (unlike some people in the class, he thinks bitterly), but his trust in others is easily earned through actions. It seems the words of these representatives have set both Aizawa and All Might at ease, Shoji gathers from a glance at the other Pro Hero. The student sighs, relaxing his posture. If they believe these delegates to be trustworthy, then so shall I.

"A-ah, well it was drilled into me from a young age to always help others. Since I've travelled so much most of the population was luckily able to recognize me, which helped move the whole stabilizing process along.  Plus my status helped put people at ease, and any way I can help..." John trails off, letting the rest of his statement go unsaid. The group sits in a momentary lapse of contemplative silence before Jiao speaks up.

"China focuses more on military conduct." She says, and Shoji finds himself drawn to her quiet aura of power. She emits a strength of leadership, and the hero-in-training finds himself thinking that he wouldn't mind serving as a soldier underneath her command. Shoji has no doubt that she knows absolutely how to run things and keep order easily.

"Oh, yeah!" Kaminari jumps in, bouncing slightly on the balls of his feet. "I read about that somewhere!" Ashido and Jiro share the look before both turn to face the blond. Shoji knows what Jiro is going to say before she even says it–

"... You read?" Jiro asks, a smirk pulling at her lips. Kaminari frowns and huffs indignantly as laughter and smiles fill the room.

"You, be nice to the idiot sandwich." Ashido says, grinning as Tsuyu 'kero's beside her. The classmates share secretive smiles before Aizawa's loud throat clearing turns their attention back at hand. Shoji is quietly glad for the mask covering the wide grin stretching his face beneath the fabric. Jiao smiles at them kindly before continuing.

"We don't have any sort of Hero system– any who try to operate outside of the law are either deported or sentenced to life in prison." The woman shrugs, allowing sympathy to slip into her gaze as she regards the horrified students. "I know it seems hard and foreign to you, but it helps us keep the peace. Less people trying to do 'good', less villain attacks. The military presence in no way infringes upon the life of civilians, but we make sure to keep a force on standby in case it is requested."

"Interesting structure..." Grisha mutters, scratching at his small beard. Jiao turns to him and nods her head in acknowledgement. The leaders treat each other with complete respect; Shoji doesn't find a hint of exasperation or superiority in their tones at all.

"Russia is a lot different from Japan, I hear?" Jiao poses, raising an eyebrow at Izelda. The woman in question nods.

"Za. Our system runs on the power of vigilantes. As long as those who are causing a disturbance are neutralized, the government has no problem with citizens running around trying to play hero."

"We do have laws in place," Grisha interjects, "but they are not quite so regimented."

"That sounds like breeding grounds for trouble." Todoroki deadpans, raising an eyebrow not of ignorance but of curiosity. Shoji admires his boldness. "How do you manage everything?"

"Is mix between government and vigilantes." Izelda admits, struggling to put it into words. "We work with the government in the case of a huge attack, but any other, smaller lawbreakers are generally left to us. Is not perfect, but Russia is still running, so the populace is okay with it."

"Hmm." Aizawa scratches his head, making a conscious effort to pull his fingers away from the band tying his hair away from his face. Shoji can practically see his urge to rip the tie out of his hair to let it flow loosely.

"Well, it's safe to say our systems all have their flaws." John begins, smiling at those in front of him. "But they have all worked out thus far. I fear what the world will do moving forward..."

"Is understandable." Grisha nods, a grim look slipping into place. Izelda places a firm hand on his shoulder. Shoji curls his hands into gentle fists, not able to stop the unsettling curling of apprehension from invading his chest. All Might clears his throat uncomfortably, Aizawa staying still aside from casting him a quick glance.

"I think we all know that this group, right here," Jiao says, gesturing to all those present, "is able to rely on each other."

"Is much more manageable than big group." Izelda agrees. "And no offense, but Russel seemed... bad for business."

"You needn't say any more." Jiao says. Shoji admires her wording that allows her to agree with Izelda while also cutting off any further discontent with the other representatives. Could we be leaders like them when it's our turn? It's a question that's plagued him before, but has never been at the forefront of his attention. With the recent situation, it's even less out of his scope of backseat worries than usual.

"Should you need any help, we will be there!" All Might booms, the wide smile on his face not as forced as it was that morning. Aizawa merely nods, slipping his hands into his pockets as he gruffly voices his approval. The delegates wave, each with mild smiles on their faces as the screens begin to pixelate and fall apart, ending the connection.

"Thank you!" Ashido calls, just before the screens completely dissipate. The students dissolve into chatter, mostly about the contents of the meeting as a deflated Toshinori Yagi and Aizawa put their heads together for a quiet chat.  Shoji still isn't used to seeing the man so... small.  And if it wasn't for the topic of their discussion, and the absence of twelve of their fellow classmates, the day could almost be counted as normal.  If there's even the smallest chance that they're still out there... we'll bring them back. Shoji makes a quiet promise to himself– to the future, to his friends, and to those that are missing. He feels his being resonate with his thought, and allows hope to bloom in his chest. He supposes hope is something the world will be in dire need of, for a short time at least. The hero-in-training merely wishes for the return of his friends as soon as possible. The whole 'not knowing' anything is the worst part, he supposes. But there is always a possibility of failure, his mind unhelpfully supplies for him. It is a simple fact that heroes can't win every battle.

Shoji shudders, feeling the slimy eel of fear compress his lungs at the notion.