Is there a difference?

She had a crush on Fitz. She knew that. So why did her stomach start doing cartwheels, and her heart start matching the pace of a hummingbird's wing when she was with Keefe?

   Sophie had been thinking about this for some time now, and everytime she did she just got more confused. It wasn't like she needed her mom to tell her how she felt, but. . . it'd be really nice to have someone to talk to about boys, that wasn't Biana and could maybe be a bit more mature about it? Especially when the boy she wanted to talk about was her brother, well one of the boys at least, the second one was Biana's old Crush.
   So making the decision, she pick herself up from her bed and went downstairs to talk to Edaline.

  "Hey darling, I'm just making some mellomelt, you wanna help?"

  "Oh of course!"

"Great! Just go grab that blue bowl from under the sink, and the butter from the fridge, I've got the rest of the ingredients."

"Alright."

Sophie knew she had come down here to ask her mom a  question, but now she just felt embarrassed, and she decided to keep her mouth shut, she was 16 now after all, she should be able to sort out her own feelings, right? Ugh! But she couldn't! Why, why were emotions so frustrating!

"You alright hon?" Edaline asked, "I've been talking and you've just zoned out,"

"Oh! right, yeah, sorry." Sophie mumbled, "I was just thinking."

"You know Sophie, you can talk to me about anything? I'm your Mother that's what I'm here for."

Sophie reached up to scratch the back of her head, that was becoming more of her nervous habit now that she was trying to break her eyelash pulling. "About that, that's actually what I came down here to do."

"Oh? Keep going?" Edaline raised her perfectly arched amber eyebrow.

"Okay well it was more of a question..." she trailed off. This was going to be awkward.

"Soophiiie? I might not have the answer to every question but I can try, I just need to know what that question is!" She laughed, a beautiful noise, that Sophie hoped she could pick up on if she was around her enough.

"Alright fine,  I just wanted to know... well, is there a difference? Between having a crush on someone and loving them?"

"Oh? Ooh! I think I know where this is coming from," her adopted mom said as she mixed the Mellowmelt ingredients together, "does it happen to involve a pair of teal and ice blue eyes?"

Sophie's face flushed, of course Edaline already knew!

Her mom just nodded and said, "that's a great question, and one that I actually might have an answer to! Yes, there is a difference, and I'll tell you why, because when you love someone you should feel comfortable with them, completely safe, like you have a place to belong. You should be able to laugh and be silly, or cry and be serious, be yourself. Whereas when you have a crush on someone, you feel more... shy and awkward, like you might do something wrong and they won't like you anymore, even though you might like them, and feel safe you don't always have that feeling of belonging. Of true loyalty and absolute love."

She said all of this  while casually mixing ingredients, acting like she wasn't changing the course of Sophie's life! So Sophie just stood there sharing at her mom, mouth slightly opened wondering why she had never thought to ask her mother before!

"How is it that you know all that? You sound as if you were speaking from experience?" She had a slight teasing smile on her face as she said this.

"Well I am, don't forget I've been a teen once, and I had boy problems too." she chuckled slightly,

"What? What are you laughing about?"

"Oh nothing, just remembering my school days. Did you know I used to have the biggest crush on Alden?"

Now Sophie's mouth really did drop, "WHAT! Are you serious?"

They were both laughing now,

"Oh yes, I'd get so caught up in his eyes - he was the only kid at school with those kind of teal eyes back then, and he was so handsome, I practically swooned whenever he walked into a room! Ha! imagine that?
But, I  fell in love with Grady, I felt that sense of belonging, and I knew that he was where I was supposed to be, were I wanted to be! And where I decided to stay."

"Aww, that's actually kind of cute, but geez mom you sound like you came out of some cheesy romance novel!"

The house was filled with the laughter of mother and daughter and the decision Sophie was quietly making in her head as they finished making the Mellowmelt and sat together to enjoy them!

A/N hey guys so this is just my mind being weird at 2 in the morning , but anyway I hope you liked it, pleasbear with me because I promise the next one will be better and disclaimer all the characters belong to Shannon messenger, and the cover is not mine, not sure who made it but it was great and I loved it so, sorry if I took and didn't tag you cuz I don't know who you are lol bye