➳ fifty-five

"Just put it there," Joy pointed towards Areum makeshift bed on the corner of the office, "I'll put them up later,"

"If you want, I can bring it up right now," Sungjae suggested, he's scratching the back of his head and by the tone of his voice, he still have more to say, "So you know...you don't need to struggle later. Then I'll leave so yeah, everyone will be saved from a very awkward situation,"

Joy can see the worry in his eyes and she can't seem to understand where these worries are coming from.

"What are you saying? It's okay. They're okay, they won't ask you to leave," Joy explained and Sungjae's expression didn't change. There's still uncertainty with the way he began to avoid Joy's eyes.

"I just don't think it's a good idea for me to stay here," Sungjae bit his lips, too nervous because he thinks he'll ruin the special moment of these girls, "I have already damaged your friendship. The least I can do right now is to leave and not make the situation awkward because of my presence," He explained. It's the truth, that's how he feels at that moment. Suddenly, the past came back and again, he remembered how disgusting he was before.

Joy's features softens as she unconsciously drag her feet to where Sungjae is standing. The urge to pat him on the shoulder is too strong, she wasn't able to stop herself, "Hey, don't say that," She said, voice brimming with sincerity.

Sungjae couldn't oppose the way his heart fluttered when he felt the warmth of her hand on his shoulder. It's like it's 2018 all over again.

That's their first physical contact after 5-6 years and she feels the same.

"The girls don't hate you,"

"How do you know?" Sungjae asked.

"I just know," Joy answered and Sungjae can't find the right way to react. Clearly, Joy is also not sure of the things. She's just saying those to make him feel better.

"It's okay," Sungjae let a small smile appear to make her feel less worried, "It's understandable. They won't even look at me during joint concerts or ending stage and I know it's because they're mad and I don't want them to have a hard time because I'm around. Let's not let that happen, it'sㅡ"

"Here, I'll show you," Joy cut him off, drag him out of the office and he doesn't have the will to stop her. He kinda established a habit of not disobeying Joy's decisions because he simply don't want to upset the woman.

It was noisy outside but it subsided when the two showed up, hand in hand, well not really since Joy is pulling Sungjae with her towards them.

"Sungjae-ah?"

Joy looked up to see the man with a familiar voice and she stiffen upon seeing Minhyuk next to Irene.

There was a brief war of flashbacks but Joy stopped them before it can continue to a full blown anxiety attack and she's proud of herself for handling it so well.

"Joyiah!!!"

Her body jiggled, startled by the loud yet soft voice of another man from the other side of the room. She turned around to see Changsub running towards her and before she could even react, she was already engulfed in a bone-crushing hug.

"Yah!! You stubborn lady!!" He screamed right next to her ear and Joy flinched because he was really being loud. She already dropped Sungjae's hand who's also shocked watching the two reunite.

Even Areum who's enjoying her seat on Hyunsik's lap, playing games on the older's phone, immediately turned her attention to her Eomma and the loud uncle.

There's no denying, Joy is closest to Changsub even before We Got Married. When her and Sungjae started dating and whenever they have problems, she always reaches out to Changsub for advice. He has always been the older brother she never had and seeing him again today is making her really emotional.