[78:] Bonding

Maddie's P.O.V.

"Please? Let me stay at the same school!" I shout.

"No! I put my foot down when someone hurts you! It'd be best if you switched schools!" Jen shouted back.

You see, this started because I asked if I could stay at the school I'm currently in.

"But I've made friends! Good friends! And I can't just leave them!" I defend them.

Jen deeply exhaled. "I'm just trying to do what's best for you, that's all. I love you too much to see you get hurt. You know I want what's best for you, Maddie."

"I'll do anything. Please, let me stay. I'll let you know if anything else happens."

"Maddie--"

"Come on, please just let me stay. I made good friends!"

"But I can't stand seeing you get hurt, Maddie." she frowns.

"It only happened once, I'll be careful. . . Promise."

She deeply exhaled again. "Okay, fine. You can stay. But, if anything else happens, and I mean anything, you're transferring. No questions asked."

I hugged her so tightly after that.

"I need to breathe, you know."

I let go, showing a bright smile on my face.

***

Our, I guess you could say, "argument" happened the day after the dance.

Speaking of that, after our kiss, which was my first one, I looked at him and he couldn't stop smiling.

I wasn't sure how to react. When your first kiss happens so suddenly without warning, wouldn't you be speechless too?

I probably shouldn't have done this, but I kissed him again. It was longer this time. It didn't involve tongue or anything, which was nice. Just a peck that lasted longer than two seconds.

Luckily Chris didn't notice. If she did, I don't know what I'd do. She'd freak out, that's for sure.

We danced for a little while longer, even when the song ended. He taught me how to dance, and forgave me for nearly crushing the bones on his feet (I stepped on his foot quite a few times).

We all said our goodbyes and Jen had picked me up not too long after.

Josh had spent the night although I made sure that he slept on the couch again. I don't think he was too happy about that because he was complaining about his back hurting in the morning.

I stayed up late that night, too happy to even think about sleeping.

I almost told Chris, but stopped myself because I wasn't sure what she'd think of me and Julian was probably asleep. But I wanted to try to talk to him by midnight, so I called him on the phone.

And sure enough, he answered, sounding happier than usual.

Fortunately, things didn't get awkward between us. We were like the bestest of friends.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi. . . I can't sleep." I admitted to him only a few hours ago.

"Close your eyes."

"It isn't that easy. I bet your eyes are open."

"Nope, they're closed." he replied.

I tried this tactic, but I still couldn't sleep.