[79:] Thinking Back

Claudia's P.O.V.

I had moved away from L.A. because I needed a break from. . .life.

My breakup with Josh was hard. People think he's sad. Okay, well, not really, I'm the sad one. More like heartbroken.

Even though Nick had visited me in the hospital--which I'm grateful for--we hadn't kept in touch much.

I saw him one more time at the beach, but that was accidentally.

I went to prove to the world that I could still be happy with my life after the breakup.

I couldn't go into the water, so I just walked on the hot sand, feeling it in between my toes on one foot. The other had a clunky boot attached to it.

My arm had healed a lot quicker than my leg. In fact, my leg still isn't fully healed. It looks like I'm limping when I walk and it gets annoying most days.

Back to the beach. When I saw Nick, I thought "Hey! Maybe if I talk to him, I wouldn't be so lonely!"

So that's what I did. We just talked. My girlfriend's couldn't show up, each of them were "busy" when I needed them most.

I remember that day like it was yesterday, even if it was a few month's ago.

"Hey, Claudia! I didn't know you were out of the hospital! I would've called you sooner but--" Nick had said a long time ago.

In my mind, when I looked at him, I didn't feel the same way I did when I'd look at Josh. With Josh, I'd get those butterflies in my stomach. I'd smile and actually mean it. He'd take me places and we'd go on walks together and he'd hold my hand. His always warm but calloused hands.

"How about we walk? I'm sick and tired of talking about hospitals." I said.

He seemed hesitant at first, but walked with ne anyway.

"I see you're feeling better," Nick said.

"Well, the doctor's say that it's best to walk. And I walk indoors too much, I missed the sun, you know?"

He smiled and said, "Yeah."

"So. . .how's life?" I asked him. I remember feeling a little stupid for asking such a thing, but he answered.

"Good, actually. We just finished filming Warm Bodies." he smiled proudly.

"Is that the weird zombie movie?"

"It's not weird! You just have to like that kind of stuff. It's. . .different."

"I bet I look like a zombie," I say and imitated one and made moaning sounds. He laughed.

"Not really, but nice one." A beach ball had hit his head and I tried to hold in my laugh but couldn't.

This short girl came up to him nervously and said, "I'm so sorry! My friend doesn't know how to throw--"

"It's fine. Here, have it back," he handed her the ball and she went back with her hand, cheering "Quinn! You wouldn't believe it! Nicholas Hoult actually talked to me!"

I rolled my eyes wondering how someone would fangirl over him.

"Does that happen to you a lot?" I asked.

"Getting hit with beach balls? No, not really." He put his hands in his pockets.

There was a concession stand and I wanted something to munch on.

I had bought some Cheetos, because it was the best looking thing there.

We walked for a few more minutes, and that's when I believe TMZ showed up.

Cameras were in our faces. We were receiving unwanted attention.

"So, Nicholas Hoult, this your new girlfriend?"

I was repulsed by that comment. They'd think I date the gorgeous Josh Hutcherson or him? It was disgusting.

We barely answered their questions. We just had to push through them. Eventually we did.

My clothes were in my car. We walked back. I put the clothes on while he looked away--I made sure of that.

"I'm gonna go," I said. "It was nice talking to you again."

We hugged and then he left.

I remember not too long after those photos popped up all over TV with those ridiculous headlines.

"Claudia and Nick: Have they clicked?"

Get it? Clicked? It's not even funny. Claudia + Nick = Click.

I was frustrated and didn't go out much because I didn't want to be seen. Nick went on with his life and dealed with all of the interviews having to do with Warm Bodies.

Now, I'm sitting on my couch, thinking long and hard about my life.

I was staring at my phone, looking at old text messages. I couldn't sit there, I needed to take action.

Once I get into my car, I drive toward his place. Took me a while, but when I made it, I took a deep breath and got out of the car.

When I knocked, he answered not too long after. Luckily, Jen was nowhere to be found.

"Claudia?" he said, a bit surprised to see me.

"Mind if I come in?" I ask politely.

He opened the door wider, motioning me to enter.

And I did.