17. Hunk

Hunk×USS!Fem!Reader
(I'm late with this, but Hunk in the RE2 remake needed WAY more screen time than he got for The 4th Survivor mode and the short in game cutscenes. But, I'm pleased I got to see him.)
[Also, I do not own the image above.]

You reloaded your gun after firing two shots to put a zombie down and glanced to your teammate. He simply stared at you before he turned and moved on. You followed suit and kept your firearm at the ready in case another zombie needed its head blown off. "Grim Reaper, huh?" You questioned the man. He glanced at you from the corner of his mask before he looked forward. "Quite a nickname to earn, if I do say so myself. How is it that one man--you--can end up being the only survivor for every mission he's ever gone on?" You asked him.

"The same reason you escape death, Lady Luck," he replied.

You pursed your lips a little at the name and narrowed your eyes at him. "Pretty sure the two of those don't align, Hunk. Besides, it's not luck that allows me live," you smirked, "it's making survival my responsibility. That's how I'm able to live."

"They both align," he said, and you watched as he stopped, turned and pointed his handgun at you, "because that's how I'm able to make it out every time." Your eyes widened behind your mask as you stared at him. The man then moved his firearm to his right and shot a zombie. "Learn to watch your surroundings, (Y/n)."

Your lips formed a small frown and you furrowed your brows at his words. Hunk turned away as you glanced behind you and at the corpse floating in the water before you turned back and followed the man. "Thanks," you mumbled.

"Just keep your guard up," he said. You nodded and looked around the area.

It was too quiet for your liking. You just knew something was out there, lurking below the waters and, lying in wait to ambush you and your comrade.

Hunk ceased walking and brought a fist up to signal for you to do the same. He then motioned to the far left side of the sewer tunnel and you looked. Floating atop the surface was a mound of flesh. It heaved up and down as if breathing. "Damn it," you thought. This was a tricky creature to deal with since it resembled the first stage of G, however, both yourself and Hunk had the means to deal with it.

The only issue was how it would go down. You've encountered this manner of beast before, and they weren't one to be taken lightly. Sluggish on land, yet they glide with ease in the water. "Follow my lead," you heard Hunk whisper.

With a nod, you gripped your firearm as you slowly, and carefully, followed the man. His movements caused little to no ripples in the water and you tried to mimic them as best you could. Your comrade managed to sneak his way past the fleshy mound, yet the same could not be said for you.

It all happened so fast. You couldn't even turn in time to aim and fire at the creature before it managed to grab you with its grotesque hand. Its grip on your tightened and you cried out in pain. The creature made a horrid noise and, before its face could get close to yours, Hunk fired at it. The next thing you knew, you were underwater. Your body struggled to break free of the monster's grasp as it held you down. The fear of drowning became overwhelming and you slowly panicked. You didn't want to die. Not yet, and most definitely not in a sewer. Your eyes then closed as you awaited for a fate that never came.

Instead, the monster's hold on you weakened enough for you to break free and quickly surface for air. Upon doing so, you noticed the creature had been killed and soon had a hand outstretched for you to grab. Both Hunk and yourself exchanged a look before you grabbed hold of his hand and were brought to a standing position. "You didn't have to save me, you know." It was true. He could've kept going and left you for dead to finish the mission, but he didn't. "Why'd you do it?" You asked.