Boys

Boys

Tony would never admit it, but the whole magic thing was still... not cool.

His mother had been worried. His father fascinated. Tony was... unsure. It was pretty amazing, yes, but also very, very scary. Especially because he could not relate, could not follow where his little brother was going. And that was the scariest feeling possible.

Stop it, he told himself, you are Tony Stark, you can do this.

He still felt somewhat uncomfortable, sitting in a magical pub, waiting for a magical family. Harry didn't look nervous, he seemed incredibly excited, turning in his seat every time the door opened behind him. Tony shouldn't have given him the seat with the back to the door. Or a sugary, hot chocolate.

"Dude, calm down.", Tony told him with a loving eyeroll.

"I AM calm.", Harry told him sharply, but Tony didn't believe him one bit. He knew Harry was just excited to be part of the magical world again, but yes, it did sting a bit to see him so impatient.

The door opened again and Harry jumped up happily. It wasn't a magical family after all, but the Grangers. Tony had seen them once, when he had picked up Harry from the train almost two months ago, but he hadn't really talked to them besides the normal pleasantries. Dentists, he remembered, they were dentists. He didn't particularly like dentists, but at least he could place the profession.

Harry and Hermione hugged happily and Tony took the time to greet her parents. They were friendly and, Tony realized, almost as nervous as he was. Perfect. He wouldn't look out of place that way.

"Hello again, Mr Stark.", Hermione shook his hand.

"Hermione, I take offence are my brother's best friend. Get a grip. Don't make me feel old. Because I am not."

"Sorry.", Hermione blushed happily. If it was because he called her Harry's best friend, Tony didn't know or care. It was true anyway.

They didn't have to wait much longer. The Weasleys arrived shortly after, but a lot less quietly and differently that what Tony had expected. They came through the fireplace and in a cloud of green flames. Mrs Granger made a small wheezing sound of shock and Tony could only agree with her there. Still, in a loud and ruckus affair, they did all manage to greet each other. Tony was very pleased by the fact that Ron, Fred and George immediately called him Tony, although their Mum made a displeased tooting sound. Tony was quick to reassure her it was fine.

They made their way into Diagon Alley and split up immediately after. Percy was off to see his girlfriend (a fact he was eager to mention). And to Tony's huge disappointment the twins took off as well, meeting up with a friend of theirs. Tony liked the twins quite a bit. If they weren't magical, he would definitely offer them jobs at SI after they graduated. Screw that. He might do that anyway. Did wizards do summer internships? So Tony found himself in the parents group with the four youngest kids, all of them chatting amicably, while Arthur Weasley was doing his best to interrogate the Grangers. Gringotts was their first stop. Mrs Weasley decided to go down to the family's vault, whereas Mr Weasley offered to help them exchange money. Which basically meant he was staring at their money in wonder. Tony handed over a whole bunch of notes, unsure of how much money he'd actually need to spend. Harry needed new robes. That much was obvious. New books.. necessities. And Tony might need some things as well. The goblin was professional and simply counted the money without commenting on the amount. Tony was oddly pleased by that. He had known people in banks to react quite differently to his antics.

"That would exchange to 2012 Galleons, Sir.", the goblin told him dispassionately.

"Wha?!", Ron had obviously heard that and turned around to stare at Tony in horror and awe. It seemed to be enough money then.