The Hollow

The Hollow

.

All my life
Been running from a pain in me
A feeling I don't understand
Holding me down

Rain on me
Underwater
All I am, getting harder
A heavy weight
I carry around.

The music was engulfing Emmy, surrounding her from all sides. The powerful bass caused even her ribcage to vibrate. Her hair was swaying softly, her gaze intently fixed onto the stage. Around her other fans were dancing, their hands raised towards the band. Emmy stood like a rock between them. She was holding her arms around her middle, almost as if she was hugging herself, singing along, carefully, making the words seem more profound, more important than one would expect at a concert.

Today
I don't have to fall apart
I don't have to be afraid
I don't have to let the damage
consume me,
My shadow see through me

Emmy's eyes filled with tears. If she was found out, if anyone realized where she had gone she'd be in more than just trouble. They could really, honestly expel her.

Fear in itself
Will reel you in and spit you out
Over and over again
Believe in yourself
And you will walk
Fear in itself
Will use you up and break you down
like you were never enough
I used to fall, now I get back up.

At this point Emmy didn't even know anymore, if her tears were happy or just... there were no words, really, to express this.

The rest of the concert went by in a blur of emotions, later on Emmy wouldn't even be able to name the songs, she just knew she loved every minute of it.

Worth it, she thought, as she made her way out into the cold, damp night in the midst of all the other people. She just needed to get back to the dark alley she had arrived in. With a little talent and a lot of luck, she might actually get away with this.

She didn't.

There was a car she knew all too well parked at the curb, a tall, lanky young man leaning against its side.

Emmy stopped dead on instinct. Why? He obviously knew where she was.

Better face the music, Emmy sighed, and walked up to her big brother. Teddy casually raised an eyebrow, when he noticed her approaching and opened his arms for a hug.

Emmy was surprised and really thankful, when she felt his strong arms around her. Her face was still slightly damp and she buried it in his warm coat. They stood like that for a couple of minutes, before Emmy finally let go.

"In how much trouble am I?"

"Not that much.", shrugged Teddy, "Get in the car. It's cold here."

Emmy hurried to get into the warmth, as Teddy made his way to the driver seat. She pulled her coat tighter around herself, even though it was cozy and warm inside the car. The damp cold was magically prevented to enter the car, when Teddy did.

Always the big brother, Teddy waited until Emmy remembered to put on her seatbelt as well, before he started the car, joined the traffic and switched the radio on. Emmy smiled. It was Teddy's usual Punk Rock. With his colourful hair and clothes, Emmy sometimes wondered if he knew how much of a stereotype he was.

They sat in comfortable silence for 15 minutes. Emmy looked outside at the lights passing by and hoped this would never end. But at some point, she knew, she would have to face the music.

"How did you know I had left?"

"Jimmy did. On the map. He didn't want to rat you out, so he called me."