Adults all the Way

Adults all the way

Tony Stark was listlessly staring at the set of clothes in front of him. There was a kid in Queens that he was surveilling right now. And when he had seen the boy's DIY costume, he had immediately felt the need for improvement. He didn't even know, if he would ever give this to the kid, but he couldn't help it, when inspiration hit. Only now he was half done and had lost all interest in it.

He had been cooped up here for the past week. Locked in his lab inside the Avengers Compound. He simply had to get away from... everything.

And as usual he had thrown himself into his work and had hoped that it would help. Only now he was sitting here, staring out of a window and... he was sad. Too sad for words. He only ever had one girlfriend and after all those years together he had really thought that... well, there was nothing to it now. He did understand, in a way, why Pepper had left him. But on the other hand he really, honestly didn't. She had known him for years. Had known what she got into. And then? She had expected him to change.

His gaze wandered to his right. There, on his desk, was a picture taken their first christmas together. Tony and Pepper in the midst of Harry and his family. They had been happy then. Content. Now both these amazing, redheaded ladies were gone.

At least Pepper didn't die, Tony thought and then hated himself for even thinking that.

There was a soft knock on the door, interrupting Tony's gloomy thought and he looked up, expecting to see Wanda, Steve... maybe Vision, who weirdly enough still seemed to think it was partly his job to inform people about what was going on around here. Maybe there was still more Jarvis in there than anyone liked to admit. It wasn't Vision though, or any of the regular inhabitants and guests. No, it was Harry poking his head in and then walking over with a friendly wave towards his brother.

Tony got up and hugged him tightly, without even saying anything. It was just good to see the most constant face in his life. The only person he knew would never leave him.

"Hello.", Harry grinned, casually dropping onto Tony's couch. He was wearing slacks and a t-shirt. Rocking the casual look like only a Stark could, Tony thought and grinned for the first time in what felt like weeks.

"To what do I owe this pleasure, oh sweet brother of mine?"

"What? Can't I just visit my dear brother when I feel like it?"

"You can. But you generally don't."

"Ouch, now you make me feel guilty.", Harry answered, mockingly putting his hand to his chest, "I am hit. Right in the feelings department."

Tony laughed out loud. "Sure you are, buddy. Seriously though: What are you doing here? Everything okay at home?"

"Yes. But my home life is not the reason I am here.", the smile had vanished off of Harry's face and Tony realized a second later what his brother actually meant by that.

"Pepper told you.", he stated, running his hand through his hair.

"Actually, no. But I did have her letter of resignation on my desk this morning. Which I found somewhat surprising."

"Pepper quit?", Tony winced. He hadn't expected that.

"Apparently. Not immediately though, thankfully. But I will need to find a replacement."

"Well, maybe you could..."

But Harry interrupted him: "I am not here to discuss SI. We can, of course, if you really want to. But I came here to see how you were."

"I...", Tony stopped. He didn't like admitting to his feelings. He didn't like to talk about personal things. But this... this was different. This was Harry, "I am sad.", he admitted and Harry gave him an understanding smile.