Chapter Twenty-seven

Please, Mother Thaycia, have mercy on me and my friends. We don't want to die or become slaves. Mighty Eclines, if you hear me, even you should see there is no justice in this. We've done nothing wrong! Look into the bad wolves' hearts and find that they are just out to hurt others there, unlike us.

Quietly, I continued my prayers, asking whichever immortal seemed suitable. It was unlikely that they'd reply, but I had to try. I tried to block out the sounds of the battle, but they had only increased tenfold as the new wolves mingled with the already tired ones.

Rainbow Goddess, please hear me! We may all d-

Thoysal's telepathy burst into my mind. 'Raset, take Zanixa and go! We can't hold them off much longer, leave while you still can!'

I opened my eyes, leaping in shock at the sudden yelling inside my head. My gaze was immediately drawn to the battlefield, where the purple far outweighed the green. Just over a hundred green wolves and one vampire were picked off one by one by five times as many purple wolves. The purple ones worked in small groups, swiftly killing one wolf at a time before going to the next. It was only a matter of time before all of Sharion was killed, including Thoysal.

A whimper escaped my mind as Raset landed on the ground next to me. "Why isn't Thoysal getting out of here with us? He's going to die!"

The spirit didn't answer, looking at the battle instead. I followed her gaze, my mouth opening as I saw twenty or so wolves circle around Thoysal. He moved his twin blades faster than I could see, but one vampire couldn't hold up against nearly two dozen wolves that were as tall as he was.

With a snarl, one of the beasts leapt at him. He only barely dodged, letting the silver of his weapons slide through the monster's fur. At the same time, three more leapt as the others made the circle smaller and smaller.

Five arrows flew in rapid succession, each burrowing deeply in one of the purple wolves. Thoysal didn't even look up, too focused on not dying. A whimper escaped my throat. I needed to help him, I wanted to help him, but I couldn't. Raset would never let me, and I couldn't telepath him, or else the distraction could get him killed.

Raset released enough arrows to kill the wolves circling around Thoysal, leaving him to finish off the two that were attacking him directly. She lowered her bow and looked at me. "We need to move, now. It isn't safe here, and this isn't our fight, in the end."

"We can't leave him here! A-and what about the ambertails?" I added, even though I knew it was my fault they were left behind, my fault they were probably dead.

Raset looked away, pain in her eyes. "We will come back for them in a few hours, after the battle is over. Only then will we know if they have survived. There is nothing we can do here now, and I am not letting you die too. Thoysal is not going to leave. He has dedicated his life to protecting this pack, and if they fall, he falls with them."

"But they're doing more than just falling! They're getting slaughtered!" Shifting from paw to paw, I whined. There was no way Thoysal was going to make it if he didn't come with us.

"It's his decision, and we cannot chang-" The spirit suddenly fell silent, head tilted slightly as if hearing something. Her frown turned into a wide smile as she seemed to catch the thing she was listening for.

Anxiously, I asked, "What? What is happening?"

Raset didn't answer my question. Instead, she just stood there, watching silently. I tilted my head in confusion and worry, though a familiar warmth touched my back. Recognizing it, I slowly turned around, staring at the large firefox in front of me.

She towered over me, being twice my size, her flame-covered back ending in a tail that was more than five times as long as I was. We both stood there silently, not knowing what to say or do. Did she still want me? Did she hate me for running away that day?

Slowly, she reached down and bumped her nose against mine. 'Nix?'

'Mom,' I replied, shifting from paw to paw. What was I supposed to do? Run to her and lick her? But what if she didn't want that?

She took action first, licking my head. I gave a soft whine and walked up to her, rubbing against her paws. The heat she radiated comforted me again for the first time in centuries.

'I have missed you so much,' she murmured. 'Never run off again, my little flame. Do you promise?'

'I promise.' I continued rubbing my side against her front paws in a loop. The close contact made me feel better. I barely brushed against her belly with the tips of my ears, and I knew it'd be centuries before I'd be too tall to fit underneath her without crawling. My plan was to use the time I still had to my full advantage.

My momma lay down, capturing me with her front paws. I couldn't get away, but I didn't mind one bit. Her warmth completely enveloped me, making me feel safe and loved.

'Guardian,' she said, including me in the telepathic link. 'I thank you for finding my kit and keeping her safe. I am in your debt. How can I repay you?'

Raset shook her head. "You are not in my debt. I merely did my job as guardian of this forest and its inhabitants. However, we do need your help."

'What is it you need?' My momma turned to look at the black stone, and then at the battlefield. Purple was now drowning out the last splotches of green. 'It has to do with them, does it not?'

"It does. The winning force forms a threat to the entire region, including your kit. And my friend is down there, giving his life just to stop them..." Raset trailed off, watching as wolves piled on top of Thoysal. This time, he wasn't getting out.

My momma stood up, a growl rumbling from her chest. 'I will get them. Do not fear.' Then, she charged, ready to bring the scorching flames of wrath very few people had faced before.

' Then, she charged, ready to bring the scorching flames of wrath very few people had faced before