Chapter Thirty

A sigh of relief escaped me as we exited the stairwell and went into the fresh air. The thick scent of blood below had left me nauseated. A quick glance at the dead ambertail in Raset's arms only made me feel worse.

The little thing was hidden in a blue flower that grew on the palm of the spirit's hand. The other two ambertails were curled up against her chest, softly nudging their family member, crooning every few seconds. It was as if they didn't really understand their friend was dead. Gone. Forever.

My paws curled up a little as I tensed. My momma breathed out, the warm air flowing around my neck and down my back. 'Do not blame yourself, little flame. These things happen. Death is a part of life.'

Thoysal carefully reached out and put his hand on the spirit's shoulder. "It is with Mafrel now. He is known to pass lighter judgement on animals."

"You are right," she said, sucking in a large breath. When she exhaled, a small smile appeared on her lips. "I am grateful it was here for as long as it was. It was a great companion, and always made my day a little brighter."

Instinctively, I knew what she was doing. 'It was one of the best playmates I've ever had. We fire creatures stick together like family. I've had great fun with all three of them.'

"Although I have not truly had the chance to get to know it," Thoysal started, picking up where I left off, "it seemed just as radiant as its tail while it pranced around the meadow. It almost seemed like it had Racra's spirit inside of it, so cheerful. I am glad to have known it."

The two remaining ambertails chirped, though I couldn't be sure if they knew what was going on too. From their looks, it seemed like it. Raset stroked them and said, "We will forever carry it in our hearts. Thaycia gives life, and Mafrel takes. May the Rainbow shine brightly onto its soul."

'May the Rainbow shine brightly onto its soul,' my momma and I echoed, soon followed by Thoysal. Raset gently put the flower with the ambertail on the ground. The shade of blue reminded me of the doom butterfly.

The vampire took a small step back as the flower burst into small flames from the inside, a blue hue to them. It only took seconds before the entire body and plant were gone. A soft wind scattered the ashes, taking them away. My unease seemed to go away with it.

Thoysal straightened and looked at us. "I think I am allowed to leave my post now the threat has been dealt with, and the Alpha has brought reinforcements. Would I be right to assume you'd rather go back into Todas?"

My momma nodded slowly to avoid jostling me up and down. 'Yes. People have taken my child before, and shifters are part human. I would rather spend time with my child and her protectors, safely away from any that may take her.'

"We could return to my home. I'd need to make a few adjustments to fit all of us, but we could make it work," Raset suggested. Two ambertails now sat atop her head, chirping excitedly at the new sights.

'Don't you need to stay here? These are your people,' I said, flicking an ear at the vampire. He'd probably protected them for centuries, and they'd just been through a big battle. It was weird for him to leave the group he had sworn to protect.

"It's about time I move on." Although Thoysal smiled, it held no warmth. "As they told you, I'm just an honorary member. I'm not truly one of the pack, even if I have kept them safe. They can take care of themselves and rebuild. Besides, I can teleport and return at any moment."

"You're welcome to stay with me for the time being. Zanixa would be happy to have you close. Right, Nix?" Raset asked. I yipped happily in response. If he was dead set on coming with us, I wasn't going to stop him. Having the vampire around wasn't all that bad. He was one of my few friends.

'I'd offer to carry all of you on my back, but I assume the vampire won't be fond of that. Are you fine with running alongside me?' momma asked. With a big swing, she launched me over her shoulders and onto her back. I squealed as I fell down and hit her fur with an 'oof'.

My eyes closed as the flames on her back flowed gently around me, embracing me. A soft purr rumbled in my chest as my lips curled into a grin. I grabbed a tuft of hair from between the flames and tugged on it. I'd missed the taste.

My momma huffed, acknowledging my 'attack', but she didn't seem annoyed. Thoysal looked amused too, his smile now genuine. "Yes, I am fine with that. It's been a while since I've had a good run."

I yipped at Raset. 'You coming on momma's back too?' My tail wagged on its own accord at the thought of sitting on my mommas back as she ran through the forest again. I could already imagine the wind ruffling my fur, making my ears all cold.

My momma lowered herself to the ground, almost making me fall over. 'The flames won't hurt you or your ambertails.'

Raset climbed onto my momma's back behind me. When I turned around, I saw the due of ambertails poking at the flames, chirping at each other. I yipped at them as greeting. They only looked at me for a moment before going back to pawing at the flames.

"Lead the way," Thoysal said as my momma rose to her paws again. With a nod, we were off, the environment turning into a blur.

 With a nod, we were off, the environment turning into a blur