Chapter Four

There was a healthy glow to Dune and Cassie's cheeks when Will wrangled them out of the bar. It had been going on half one when the security guard met Will's eyes across the room. Will, certain he was the only sober person left in the entire city, understood what eye contact meant.

"Are you sure?" Veronica pulled at Cassie's hand. Luckily Will had looped his arm around her shoulders and kept her to his side. It wasn't that he wanted to end her night early. He didn't. But Dune didn't like clubs, Will was on water, and Cassie wasn't going without one of them. Not when Will didn't know the places they were heading.

"You three be safe. I hope you can get in somewhere." Will steered Cassie away.

He glimpsed Dune exchanging contact information with Luke, and some low words that the wind snatched away before they reached Will. Curious, but not wanting to look it, he said goodbye to Tara, and purposefully didn't look at the pair until they joined them.

"Talk to you soon." Luke said to Dune before leaving with the girls.

The security guard, at the front door ushering people out, gave Will a quick nod.

"I hope you know where the car is parked." Cassie said, as she went in front to lead the way.

"It's only down the road." Dune said. He miss-stepped, stumbling into Will.

"Ooh, somebodies a light-weight." Cassie sang.

Dune straightened himself, "I haven't drunk in ages."

"It was the shots," said Will. He walked closer to Dune, keeping an eye. "We're crossing the road. Cassie, wait for me."

"I wait for only the green man." Cassie pressed the traffic button and grinned at Will.

"You wait, I'll be over there." Dune crossed the abandoned road.

When Will tried to follow, Cassie grabbed him from behind, and stopped him. "Green man, not red."

"There's no cars, and look, poor Dune's waiting for us."

Cassie peeked over his shoulder. When Dune raised his hands in a 'what are you doing?' gesture, she giggled.

"Look—Green man." Will took her hand and kept a hold of it.

The parking lot, considerably more dingy-looking at night, was black around the edges.

"Shotgun," called Cassie, breaking free of Will and once again leading the way to the car. Will reached into his pocket and pressed the button to unlock it.

"My car, my seat." Dune warned her.

"Huh? Sit wherever you like?" Cassie opened the passenger door, climbed in—Will didn't think climbing was strictly necessary to get in—but she did.

"Cassie," Dune warned again.

"I love the passenger seat." Cassie giggled again, drunk.

Dune opened her door fully, caught her around the waist, and took her out of the car. She squealed. Several drinks in, a few shots, and the fresh air to make it hit him all at once; Dune had no problem lifting Cassie with one arm. Will stopped halfway to the drivers door, in case Dune tripped over his own feet, and sent them tumbling down. Although in their state, Will didn't think either would mind.

"You can have this seat." Dune declared. He heaved, and half-set, half-threw Cassie onto the roof of the car.

"Dune!" Will rushed over.

Dune got into the passenger seat and smiled victoriously at Will.

He didn't know what to say, and all that came out was yet another: "Dune."