Chapter Six

"Did something happen?" Gabriel asked casually.

Will, in the middle of slicing up an avocado, tensed. In the same casual way Gabriel had spoken, he looked over his shoulder, smiled. "Didn't hear you come in."

Gabriel placed his laptop bag down and came over. His rested his hand into the small of Will's back. "I'd be surprised if you heard me over that." He said, dark eyes on the TV. Will looked too, realising just how loud he'd turned the music up. Quickly he picked up the remote and turned it down.

"Sorry."

"It's fine." Gabriel's gaze lingered, and Will realised he was waiting for him to answer the question. Did something happen?

"I started on the lasagna." Will deflected. That was 'something', right? "I've the vegetables all cut, I just used what was in the fridge, I hope that's okay, and the mince is just gone into the frying pan."

Gabriel lingered around Will's shoulder. Will started to cut the vegetables again, and Gabriel let out a breath. He kissed Will's cheek. "I'll be back after I change."

As soon as he left the room, Will stopped cutting. He was making a mess of the avocado. He shook himself, hoping to ease away the last of his jitters, and was back at it when Gabriel came back in sweat-pants and t-shirt. The casually dressed boyfriend eased Will's heart more than the teacherly-dressed Gabriel. In a suit, Gabriel was something forbidden. In trackies, Gabriel was his.

"How was work?"

"Busy," Gabriel set up at a chopping board next to Will, and brandished an onion. "Did you leave these in the fridge on purpose?"

Will paused a second too long. "No."

Gabriel raised an eyebrow.

"I was leaving them till last," Will continued, "So I could see what I was doing for the rest of it."

"Uh huh." Gabriel returned the onions. His hand found its way once more to Will's back. He leaned against his shoulder as he looked over him. "Did you leave anything for me to do?" He asked, amused.

Will remembered that this was meant to be a couple thing. A shared moment. All he'd been thinking about when he arrived was keeping himself occupied. Moving. "Putting it all together." He eventually concluded. "Sorry, I know you said we'd do it together, we can next time."

"You don't need to apologise for making me dinner." Gabriel kissed his shoulder. There was a contemplative look in his eye. His hand slipped from Will's back to his waist, and then he rested his chin on Will's shoulder. Will, smiling, braced himself on the counter to support Gabriel's weight. His curly hair tickled his jaw.

"I can finish the rest." Gabriel told him. "You can do homework, or whatever you feel like."

Will leaned back, and Gabriel answered with more weight. Will chuckled. "In that case, I might go for a quick run."

Gabriel shifted once more. His hand flattened on Will's stomach. In the microwave's reflection Will could see his smile had gone, and that contemplative look was back.

"Again?" Gabriel asked.

"Again?"

"You already went for a run, didn't you?" Gabriel traced the buttons on his shirt. "Your runners are left in the hallway."

"I might have just been walking."

Gabriel pressed a kiss to his neck. "You taste salty, and I know you wouldn't be sweating after a walk."

"Don't be tasting me," Will grumbled. Gabriel let out a laugh. He stood straight, and gently had Will turn to face him, retreating enough that they could see each-other's faces.