chapter 3

Gathering myself after the long flight I stepped out into the bright sun light and warm air of New York. I took a moment to breathe in deep and fill my lungs with air. I spotted a man standing next to a black town car with my name on a board along with the Fashion Free logo on it. I waved and approached him.

"Miss Ash" he asked.

"Yes" I replied.

"I'm your driver Blake. I am available to you during working hours and any other appointments you may require" he explained.

"Jessica got me a driver?" I gasped.

"Miss Quinn needs her assistant to be able to get around the city." He responded loading my bags into the town car. And holding the back seat door open.

"Miss Quinn" I muttered the mental note to remind myself that Jessica was proffesionally known as Miss Quinn and to address her so at work. I watched the buildings of New York fly by as Blake made his way to my new home in Chelsea. He stopped outside a large beautiful old brownstone house. It had steeps up to a large wooden door.

"Gosh it's so pretty" I gasped.

Blake nodded " it's got alot of character around here. Some beautiful buildings and walks."

I stepped out of the car and suddenly had a feeling like I was Carrie Bradshaw from sex and the city suddenly it all felt so surreal. I Freya Ash was standing outside a beautiful new home on a sidewalk in New York City. It was a far cry from a rural village in Galway and even the bright lights of Dublin paled in comparison. I felt a jolt in my heart I hadn't felt in months, a small flutter of excitement danced across my heart before it was chased away by guilt and the memory of Sean . I composed myself and walked up to the door knocking lightly. A young man mid twenties answered it.

"Hi there I'm Freya Ash" I introduced myself hoping he would tell me what was next.

"Hi Freya I'm Xander" he smiled. "Jessica told us you were taking her spot here." He stepped aside.

"Us?" I asked allowing my brain get ahead of my mouth.

" Yeah there's myself, Pam, Rebecca and James here." He replied.

" How very Friends like" I responded lamely refering to the sitcom.

He smiled " more like The Big Bang Theory seeing as James and I work at the University. Rebecca in law and Pam is barriesta and model this week anyway." He added making a sitcom reference of his own.

I smiled back he seemed warm and friendly. "Anyhow you have Jessica's old space which is pretty much the whole top floor. I'll show you up."

Xander led me up two flights of stairs to a cosy large sitting area with a flat screen TV, cream sofa with silver and pink throw cushions. The furniture was white based , a modern white coffee table stood in the centre, a white book shelf and some floating shelves framed a large bay window with a window seat area. It was framed with plush pink and sliver silk tie back curtains. The hardwood polished floor had thick silver grey rugs expertly placed. A white door to left stood ajar.

"Through there is your bedroom and bathroom" Xander indicated.

I could only nod surprised at the lavish surroundings. Blake's presence dropping down the first of my cases jarred me from the fairytale.

"Let me help you get the rest." Xander laughed indicating to the large suitcase and Blake's flushed face from three flights of stairs.

I removed my light jacket and tossed it on the sofa, kicking off my shoes I entered the equally plush bedroom, a large four poster bed stood in the centre of the room with a matching dressing table. A small walk in closet was to the right of a beautiful white bathroom. I looked longingly at the jacuzzi bath.