Years Ago

"Pregnant?"

"Yes."

"Me...a-a father?"

"Yes."

Tina watched Newt carefully. She was worried about his reaction.

"Tina, this is wonderful!!" Newt scooped his wife up into a gentle hug.

Tina let out a relieved laugh.

"I love you," Newt pressed a kiss to her lips.

"I love you too," Tina kissed him back.

                                                                                 ***

Tina looked out of the bakery window.

The streets of New York were full. There were people rushing past, the outlines of their silhouettes glowing against the setting sun.

"Do you think Queenie would be happy to hear the news?" Tina gestured to the bump on her stomach that had been growing for the past 5 months.

"I think that she would," Newt squeezed her hand.

"Me too," Jacob replied sadly.

Tina watched as Jacob's usually cheerful face droop into a sad one.

The manager of the bakery, Alexa, patted each of them on the shoulder. She wasn't there in Paris when it happened, but she was a Spiritual Legillimens, meaning she could feel people's emotions as well as reading their minds. So, she knew how much they were hurting.

"She would hope they'll be a girl," Tina spoke again. "So she could dress her up in pink & play with her."

"But she would love 'em no less if they end up being a boy," Jacob's voice cracked through thick emotion.

"She would be the best auntie..." Newt said quietly.

Cautiously, Alexa closed her eyes.

And was overcome with grief.

The 4 of them sat in Kowalski's Bakery with tears in their eyes until the sun sank out of sight.

                                                                                 ***

The front door of Newt & Tina's house creaked open.

A figure slipped in through the shadows.

They crept along the hallway & made their way to the kitchen.

Looking around, the figure scanned the bulletin board hanging on the wall.

She took out a piece of paper with red writing on it.

Shaking back her blonde curls, Queenie Goldstein put the note up onto the board using a knife.

And slipped right back out the door.

                                                                                 ***

Newt entered the kitchen the next morning still in his pyjamas.

He was making a cup of tea when he turned around & saw the note stabbed onto the bulletin board with a knife.

The teacup fell to the floor & broke to pieces.

On the note were the words:

We're coming for you, Newt Scamander.