If Only Pt. 1

Is that...Tina Goldstein?

Newt heart thudded.

It had been 8 years since he had last seen Tina Goldstein.

After his New York trip, Newt was banned from leaving England for 18 months.

Soon after that, Dumbledore approached Newt & asked him to find Credence in Paris.

Newt refused. It was illegal.

But as soon as he heard Tina Goldstein was in Paris, he just had to go see her.

He tried to travel by an unregistered Portkey but got caught. He was banned from leaving England indefinitely.

Newt & Tina continued to send letters but ultimately, she just stopped writing.

Eventually, they forgot about each other.

At least Tina did.

Every day, for the past 8 years, Newt always thought of the girl who stole his heart.

And now, she was here. In the same little bar that Newt was at with Leta.

Leta & Theseus had been married for 7 years with a child.

It had been a while since Newt & Leta spent some time together, so they went to a bar.

And Tina Goldstein was there too, looking even more beautiful than ever.

But she was with someone else.

                                                                                 ***

"Hon, do you want a drink?"

"Just tell the waiter to pour some rum into a glass."

"Tina, that's not a ladylike drink. How about a sidecar cocktail?"

"Achilles, please."

"Fine. On the rocks?"

"Yes. Now go."

Achilles kissed his girlfriend of 2 years on the cheek & left.

Tina sighed & turned her head around and saw...

Newt Scamander.

Tina's heart swelled.

She knew that there was a chance that she would see him on this mission, but it was still a surprise.

He looked different.

His new style still had hints of trademark look. He was sporting a fitted dark grey waistcoat & trouser combo with an untied black bowtie draped loosely on his collar. A black pea-coat, much like his peacock blue one, hung from his chair.

Tina had never seen a more handsome man in her life.

She hadn't seen or heard from him in 8 years. When she read about his engagement with Leta, their relationship turned sour. 

But then, he explained in a letter that Leta was to marry Theseus.

He never mentioned visiting New York, though. Maybe because he was lying & couldn't leave his new wife, Leta.

The thought of Newt lying to her haunted Tina for many moons.

They continued to send letters for a couple years before Tina had to go on a top-secret mission. 

She couldn't tell anyone about it.

Tina was gone for 4 months. When she got home, she was expecting multiple letters from Newt.

But there were only 5 letters. One each from the first 5 weeks she was gone. Then, he never wrote again.

Now, he was here looking so charming & sweet.

And Leta was sitting next to right next to him.

                                                                                 ***

"Newt? What are you staring at?" Leta placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Nothing," Newt turned back around, but his eyes kept diverting to the bar.

"Have you spotted someone attractive?"

"Yes," he sighed.

"Which one?! You haven't been romantically interested in anyone for 8 years!"

"What do you mean? I dated Bunty for a little while."

"You went on one date together & you decided you two should remain friends. It crushed her, she was so in love with you."

"At least she's happy with James."

"Indeed," Leta followed Newt's gaze.

"Is it her? The one in the grey?"

Newt nodded.

Tina had definitely changed.

Instead of her trousers & white blouse, she was wearing a grey pantsuit & shiny black slip-on shoes. She was wearing a little more makeup than she would have 8 years ago, but it just enhanced her beauty. Her chin-length hair had grown to her shoulders & were in soft, shiny curls. 

She looked absolutely stunning.

"She looks familiar..." Leta squinted.

"What? N-No, I've never seen her in my life!" Newt exclaimed.

"That's Tina Goldstein, isn't it? The girl whose picture you carry?"

"No," Newt tore his gaze away.

"It is! I thought you got over her & only carry her picture for memories!"

"I-I did get over her!" Newt blushed. "I mean, I did but actually...I didn't."

"Newt, it's been 8 years since you last saw her. It looks like she's moved on," Leta looked pointedly at the man who kissed her on the cheek.

"And that's good, I don't expect her to remember me. I doubt she even was romantically interested in me at all."

"That's a lie, I've seen the letters she sent you. She was smitten by you."

"And now, she's smitten by her husband."

"Well, I don't see a ring. They're probably just dating."

"She still seems pretty happy with him."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Newt downed the rest of his firewhisky.

That was a lie.

In reality, he was crushed. Tina was his first & only love. To see her with another man bothered him.

But as long as she was happy. Right?

Newt shook the thought away & went up to the bar.

He kept his eyes away from the side of the bar Tina was at.

"One firewhisky please," Newt asked the bartender.

"Sir? I'll have rum. On the rocks," Newt heard a female voice request sharply.

He looked to the side.

"Tina?"

Her expression softened instantly.

"Newt..."

A/N

Hello there!

This chapter idea popped into my head at exactly 3:26 am.

I hope you enjoyed it!

See ya whenever!

- Fangurl_700

PS. The term 'on the rocks' was established in the 1940s but who cares.