Awaken Memory

Elrohir rode Gilroc, his white stallion, in a moderate pace as he ventured out of the house of Rivendell. He proceeded towards the city, the sound of Gilroc’s hooves draped across the cobblestone path warned the people around him of an incoming rider. They instinctively made a way for the young lord of Rivendell as he rode past the market.

“Lord Elrohir! Hi!!” cheered a small elfling, drawing his attention. Elrohir smiled his boyish smile at the young elfling who was waving his hand at him, his mother holding his other tiny hand.

“Gwithron!” Elrohir called back, “Eat your salad and listen to your nana (mother)! She knows best!” He rode past by the elfling but not before giving him a playful wink. The elfling giggled and continued waving.

The exchange between the two earned smiles from the elves passing by. The family of Lord Elrond was always loved by the people of Rivendell. The twins, particularly; it was easy to love them.

Elrohir continued riding towards the outskirts of the city and entered the forest. His heart was giddy at the prospect of surprising Wanda and to lay his eye upon her face again. This time he doesn’t need to hide his feelings from her anymore. The ear to ear smile seemed like it was forever engraved on his expression. He had never known other that could make his heart sing like she did.

After a while he began to realize that something was amiss. He slowed down his horse and eventually stood still. Listening.

Elrohir scanned the trees. His cool grey eyes searching as alarm rose behind his mind. The young twin instinctively put his hand on the hilt of his sword. It was silent. Too silent. He couldn’t hear the trees singing; not even a whisper of their music.

Instantly, his eagerness to see Wanda in the forest dissipated. The silence from the trees in the elven realm signaled only one thing: Danger.

Elrohir unsheathed his elven sword. “Noro lim (run). Noro lim, Gilroc!” he commanded his horse in Sindarin. With a neigh, the white stallion jumped on its rear feet and started to ride hard.

He ventured deeper into the forest, his elven senses heightened. He felt a sense of familiar darkness—orcs. The anger and hatred that had haunted him for centuries resurfaced.

He was ready to kill when he smelled them, but was met with bodies. Not orcs, but goblins. Elrohir dismounted his stallion as he inspected the scene before him. Looked like someone had gotten there first to take care of the dark creatures.

The sound of horse hooves draping closer entered his elven ears even from afar. Elladan, dressed in his patrol armor got to him first, grey eyes alarmed as he scanned the dead bodies.

“I got your message,” said Elladan as he dismounted his own black stallion. “They’ve gotten past the border,” he concluded, a disturbed look on his face.

“Maybe I should have listened to Erestor this morning,” said Elrohir gritting his teeth. “Someone else came here first. But this,” he kicked a body and turned it with his boot, “This is not our doing. Not our border patrol.”

Elladan covered his nose from the dead goblin stench as he crouched down to look at the mutilated body. “Not a clean cut. Not of our blade. Or any blade that I know for that matter,” he observed before standing back up on his feet.

An ominous nod from Elrohir. “It is as if they were… stretched to death.”

Both twins stood and looked down at the dead bodies, a new concern rose in their mind.

Elladan was first to break the silence between them. “I’ve alerted the scout before I came here. An additional border patrol team is going to be here soon to secure the area.”