seven months later

Around seven months ago I embarked on this challenge with the sole purpose of just seeing what could happen. I would never have been able to predict what would happen.

I completed this challenge on just over 3,000 reads.

Today I hit 300k reads on that same book.

Now, we need to pause. Because I need to fill you in on this account. Since this challenge I have written 6 other books on this account. None of them have surpassed 4k reads.

This made me think a lot today. How much can I really trust the results of this challenge when this book itself is shown to be an anomaly?

And so the point of this update is simply to say this: do not treat this as a guide to definite success.

I've released multiple books since on the same account - which now has 390 followers all on its own without me following people - and none of them have gained the same cult following. Success is just as much about luck as it is hard work unfortunately.

But don't let that put you off. Because when I started this challenge I had NO idea that such a thing would happen to me. And so when you click publish for that first time, who knows where that book will take you.

Over the past seven months I have made countless friends, gained valuable knowledge, and I've had fun. Making this new account has reminded me of the joy of writing fiction. Of writing things that are fun, carefree, and exciting.

So don't worry about read counts.

Fall in love with writing.

And maybe seven months down the line you'll be looking at a book you've written with love hit #1 on a tag with 329k other books. Or maybe it will have 20 reads. But what matters is the journey you go on, the things you learn, and the people you meet.

- Ella