↝CHAPTER 4↜

It's been three hours of silence. Namjoon and Taehyung  are still out looking for Jiwon. The sun went down quite awhile ago, and I've just been staring at the streetlights outside, watching moths flutter in the yellowish halos of light. When the sun set it took the heat of the day with it, and now it's freezing again. I don't have a jacket, but I'm determined not to disrupt Jimin again. Especially to ask to go inside when we're supposed to stay in the garage. He's been throwing weird glances at me, probably wondering if I'll cause another shockwave. Or worse.

I have no idea how it happened, but I think I understand the principle of it. I wanted to feel safe, put all my mental effort into feeling safe, so whatever 'energy' these people keep referring to gathered up to make me safe. I unintentionally made my bubble into a real-life forcefield. That's pretty cool, I guess. The less cool part is I couldn't keep a handle on it, hence the bursting bubble. This is some Jedi shit. I look at Jimin, only to find him staring me back, thinking hard about something.

"Look, it was an accident. I'm real sorry, I am, but it's not like you got hurt."

He doesn't argue, but the look on his face makes me rethink my statement. His dark eyes seem to have lost their focus. There's a shadow over him that is inexplicable, not being cast by anything.

"What's wrong with you?" A sickening, cold guilt leaks into my chest.

"I'm fine," He tries to brush it off.

"Stow the stoic shit and tell me what I did to you," Somehow my rudeness draws a tiny, surprised smile from him.

"The energy field worked like a blast," He says it as if that should make sense.

"What on Earth does that mean?" I try not to sound frustrated. He gives me what feels like the hundredth serious look, reading my face carefully as he searches for words.

"Do you know how most people get the Sight?" He turns in his seat, and I can see on his face he's far from well. I've never felt so bad.

"Namjoon said something about 'planes of existence'. He said people exist in one, and ghosts and demons in another. People with the Sight exist in both, so we can see both. I think he said inanimate objects are in both too; that's why ghosts can move things," Namjoon actually said something about magic as well, but I can't say that word yet. I'm not ready to deal with that. Jimin nods along so apparently I've caught the gist.

"Everyone has a life-force," Jimin says in a calm, quiet voice, "When you get the Sight, you become connected to yours," He seems to be racking his brain for just the right words, "It's powerful, and it's unique to each person..." He makes stringing words together look like an Olympic event, "With practice you can control it. Use it as a weapon."

"You mess with your life-force? Isn't that dangerous?"

"It can be," He nods seriously, "It recharges, but... slowly."

"What happens when you use it up?" I ask quietly. He scans my face before shaking his head in disbelief.

"Use too much and you collapse, but it's more dangerous to get hit with someone else's."

"Shooting this energy stuff at someone else hurts them?" I can't help but imagine people walking around with little video-game health bars hanging over their heads.