↘CHAPTER 19↙

Screaming. Inhuman, terrified wails echoing off the walls. I can't see where it's coming from, there's something wrong with my eyes. No, not my eyes. Black, thick bars surround me, blocking off much of my sight-line. Please, not again. I grab the bars, searching for the door. Junsoo unlocked it, if I can only find it then I can get out. There is no door. I try to stand, but the cage is too small. I try to kick at the bars but my legs are shackled and chained. I can't get out. That horrible screaming, and I can't find the person to help them.

I try to shout out, but my words drown in the heavy air. I can't breathe. It's too hot. I can't call for help. I can't breathe. I slam my fists against the bars, but the cage fights back. The sides are creeping in and I can't get out. God, help me. The screaming continues, but no longer inhuman. I know that voice. Blood is everywhere. It's deep red, but there's something wrong with it. It's dirty. It runs streaming down the bars, drips from the ceiling, puddles on the floor. It's on me. I can't get it off. It stains into my skin, it sticks and clings and spreads. The screaming won't stop. God, help me.

I know that voice. I open my mouth to shout out to him, to tell him it'll be okay, but the sweltering air chokes the words before they can start. There's so much blood. I'm going to drown in it. The cage keeps shrinking, and I can't get loose. A new voice rises over the screams. Not yelling, this voice is quiet and high and cracked with age. Please, not him. He's speaking softly, rhythmically. It's almost a chant. A hand reaches out, slicing at me with a black-handled knife. The blood is tainted; it's not human. It's everywhere and I can't get it off. The chanting continues. How I can hear it over the unending screaming is beyond me, but the sound of it makes me shiver even in this searing Hell of a room.

Blood and blade
I place on you
Time and choice
I now undo
Bend and break
Forget your path
As you were
I call you back

Those words repeated, as if on a loop. I don't know how many times, maybe five? Maybe more. Then, right at the end of a repetition, the seeping pools of blood start to boil. The screaming cuts short.

~~~~~

I'm trapped, kicking and clawing for an escape. Oh, I'm awake. I wiggle breathlessly to find my way out of the tangle of blankets. I'm covered in chills and sweat. Finally I'm free of my fabric prison. I sit up in bed. It was just a nightmare. Just a bad dream. There's a soft breeze drifting in the open window but it's warm, summer air. I need to get out of here. I climb slowly and delicately out of bed to avoid waking Jiwon, who is curled up and sleeping peacefully not six feet away. I don't know how heavy of a sleeper she is, so I move at a painstaking pace, not letting the whimper of pain out as my ruined feet struggle to support my weight. I open the door slowly, and close it as gently as possible behind me.

I breathe a sigh of relief. I still feel hot. I need cool air. I start down the stairs, treading lightly to keep the metal from ringing out and announcing my pilgrimage. The garage is always the coldest room in the building. If I can just stand in there for a few minutes, then I might be able to calm down.

I haven't had a nightmare in a long time. It's strange how different it felt. How wrong. I guess I've gotten used to my Seer dreams. They feel real. They are real, I guess. Everyday dreams and nightmares feel plain weird to me at this point, and I don't know what to think about that.

I reach the bottom of the stairs, but the door to the garage is already open. That's unusual. I peek my head in before entering. Junsoo is sitting by the closet door, listening to Taehyhng talk. I go completely still, hoping they haven't noticed me yet.