◎CHAPTER 13◎

I push my way past Taehyung and open the door a bit wider, my heart pounding in my throat.

"Hey, Pawpaw," I hold eye contact, but just barely. I'm vaguely aware of my right leg twitching nervously.

"Diana," He looks down at me and I can't read his expression. Ki Jaehyuk isn't quite sixty yet, a bit young to be the grandparent of a twenty-two year old. It's been almost two months since I last saw my grandparents and I had almost forgotten just how gigantic he is. He towers over virtually everyone at his height of six foot six. He stares down at me, his blue eyes glinting with what is certainly a well-prepared guilt trip or angry tirade.Not forgetting the name he called me.

"I wasn't expecting you," That's as close to 'How the Hell did you find me?' as I can get.

"You can't hide from a mail man," He speaks softly, cutting through to the real meaning of my words. He steps towards the door, swinging it wide. I skip backward to let him in.

"This is your grandpa?" Taehyung gawks up at the tattooed giant. He doesn't look scared, just sort of awed. He seems to take particular interest in Pawpaw's forearm piece. A skeleton in a post office uniform holding an AK-47 with the words 'going postal' stamped above it. Pawpaw has a knack for classy ink.

Pawpaw just looks at the others for a moment, "I'm gonna need a few minutes with my granddaughter," He raises his eyebrows at them, enunciating as if he's speaking to idiots, "Go away," He doesn't yell, and that makes it all the more disturbing. Taehyung and Jimin bob their heads and speed-walk up the stairs. Jin stifles a laugh and the resulting gurgle cuts off halfway as he zips out of the room.

I should say something. What should I say?

"Did you throw your phone in the Han river? Or did you disable the GPS?" I don't think I've ever heard him call the river by it's full name , but for once his vernacular doesn't make me smile. In fact, Joon did disable the GPS, but I hadn't thought it necessary.

"You guys tried to use the phone company to track me down?" I didn't really figure my family for the high-tech types.

"One call. One text. One minute of your time to let your family know you're alive," He glares down at me, and I find myself staring at my feet.

"I'm sorry," I mumble, my throat constricted.

"You're only sorry because I'm standing here in front of you. What the hell is going on, Ki Minhee?" Shit, he pulled out the middle name.

"Nothing. I just found a roommate. I thought it was time I lived on my own."

"So you move out without a word? You hide from us?"

"Not like that, no," Shit, what can I say?

"You thought I wouldn't track you down?" He looks hurt and that's so much worse than angry, "How are you putting in for rent money? You using your college savings?" he seems to deflate, "You're so close, why are you going AWOL now?"

"I promise, that's not what this was about," How do I explain this? My chest is burning but my eyes feel dry. I can't cry. I physically can't do it. That reaction is just not coming and despite my guilt and worry, it is my lack of tears that hits me hardest right now. I was always the girl who cried easily. At weddings, when I was angry, when I hurt someone's feelings, when my feelings were hurt. I haven't cried since my first week here and considering the things I've witnessed lately I don't honestly know what to think about that.

We stare at each other, both too hurt to verbalize. I did right by my family. I know I did, but they don't. They can't know why I left. They can't be part of my life right now. It's not safe for any of them, but I never wanted to hurt them.