ΔCHAPTER 21Δ

Diana, this is for you. I'm so sorry, my sweet girl, but you have a long road ahead.

It would take a library to tell you everything, to teach you the history of what we are. I guess most of that will die with me, but that's alright. That's the way it should be. One day people like you and me will be forgotten. There will be no monsters left to fight, and the world can spin in peace.

What you read here cannot be repeated outside of this building. Do not take this journal out and about, and do not let strangers near it. What we are comes with so many secrets, and it needs to stay that way. It is for your friends' safety as much as your own.

Now that that is out of the way, there are some basics you need to know. You've probably guessed at most of it, but I'll still spell it out for you. First, any descendant of a Seer has the potential to become one. That includes your grandmother, mother, sisters, aunts, everyone. They have the potential, but nothing more. None of them will get the Sight unless they are called. It's not something contagious they can catch just by being around others with the Sight. I'm sorry you couldn't know that sooner, but it should make things easier for you now.

Yes, you were called. I know you think you got your Sight because you met someone that already had it, but that's not how this works. You had your first dreams before you met your new friends. Dreams of a future that may never happen. You got called that night, and Fate sent you someone to lead you where you needed to go.

My first dreams. Oh, holy crap, I had almost forgotten. Those horrible nightmares about screaming people being tortured in the streets.

Not every dream will come true. Some of them are visions of the future as it stands, but not everything is written in stone. Decisions you make can change things, but please know that changing things has consequences.

I can hardly breathe. This is amazing. Some of her words trip me up. She had very messy handwriting, and cursive is hard to read even at its best, but I can't look away from these yellowed pages. Some passages are advice, some are notes on protection or tips for fighting, some are entire pages of spells. Holy cow there are spells here. Healing spells, curse breakers, locator spells. It's Harry Potter world right now, and I'm not complaining. Joon has to read this. He can read this, right? Of course he can, Grandma  wrote that I can't show the book to strangers, but she said nothing about keeping it a secret from the others in the firehouse.

Apparently, ash from a Cypress tree can be placed by the front door of a building to make a protection spell completely invisible. Not that that would help the firehouse, the Unit already knows we're here, but we could place protections anywhere now without the Unit knowing about it. We could have a secret hide-out, and the little kid part of my brain is insanely pleased with that fact.

I turn the page. Scrawled across the top in large letters is Do Not. This could be important.

"Minhee?" I jump at the unexpected noise.

"Hey, yes, what?" My voice comes out squeaky with surprise. Jiwon smiles at me, ignoring my undignified reaction.

"Just wanted to let you know we're back, sweetheart," She pushes a lock of her long hair behind her ear, "Also, Joon and I are getting started on dinner. We'll shout when it's ready," She turns to go, but I jump off the bed.