2

"Birdy!" Theta calls from the other side of store's section, successfully making the associate helping her practically leap in surprise. I press my hand over my mouth to suppress a chuckle at the multitude of glares she's drawing. Still, Theta doesn't seem to notice as she bounds over to me and place a cloche on my head. "Just as I thought, it's perfect. You have to get it."

I glance at myself in the small mirror and smile when I notice why she's so adamant about this hat. Right on the side where the side of the hat is tucked upwards, it's secured with a decorative gem and peacock feather that stand out against the rich black of the fabric. "Well, it's better than one of the ones with the giant bows you keep trying to force on me." I tease as I admire my reflection.

"Come on, doll." She glances over her shoulder at my babysitter for the day before dropping her voice to a whisper. "We both know you don't need to be claiming single these days. No bow for you since you got a beau."

We both burst into a fit of giggles at the atrocious joke. "Theta Anders, you are completely ridiculous sometimes." She just rolls her eyes at me and waits for my answer. "I'm still getting it though."

Her cheers follow me as I make my way over to the counter and purchase my items. All the while, I take my dear sweet time to delay the inevitable comment from Jimmy—or James, as he forcefully corrects me—about going back and being locked away in the apartment for the rest of the day.

Luckily, I have a plan like I usually do.

"Miss Carter, it's time to leave." Jimmy reminds me as he hovers over my shoulder while I double check my bags. "Your father wants you home before three o' clock."

"Actually, there was a change of plans." I lie casually. My heels click against the floor, and James shuffles to keep up with me. "There are a few things I'd like to give Poppa in person. So we need to swing by the office before we go home."

"Ma'am," Jimmy starts, but I hold up a hand to him and pointedly ignore him until he corrects himself. He lets out a heavy sigh before speaking, "Elinor—you know that I'm not allowed to do that. You're father gave me specific instructions to—"

"—And I'm giving you mine." Jimmy's eyes widen when I round on him with crossed arms and a deathly serious look that I learned from my Pops. "My father hired you to watch over me, make sure I get home safely, and don't run off anywhere. Isn't that correct?"

"Yes, miss, but—"

"—But nothing, Jimmy. I will be perfectly fine at my father's office. After all, if he's so concerned, he'll be able to watch me himself while I'm there." I wait for an argument, but when none comes—just like I planned—I nod and hand him most of my bags. "Alright, now that the matter is settled, we should get going. I don't want to get stuck in traffic again."

Jimmy sighs, and I'll admit it makes me feel a little drunk on power to see him crumble like that. Perks of being raised under the tutelage and doting of Henry Carter, top architect and one of New York's most powerful—and richest—businessmen. I've learned the ways to getting what I want, and the stubbornness I inherited from my mother keeps me from every giving in easily.

Tommy tells me it's one reason he fell for me. Because I'm 'different from the other Sheba's who are all talk but no force.' Lucky for him, I feel in love with him cause he pushed back. Most people just give in and crumble right away like poor Jimmy, but not Tommy, he's got a fire all his own that makes mine burn brighter.

I watch the city fly by in a rush of honking cars, shouting people, and life going on in the most authentic way possible. Although, I don't really allow myself to appreciate it. I'm far too caught up in planning how to catch a moment with Tommy without getting caught to do so. Pops is bound to be hovering over me like I'm an infant in need of constant care.