6

A hand gently rests on my shoulder, and I have to bite my lip to keep from shrugging it off. Every action feels false. It's all coated with a false kindness that people have at funerals. Although, this is a different kind that they specially reserve for the fiancée of the lost.

"We'll get through this, Birdy. You're strong enough to do this, and I'm here for you the whole time." Theta tells me, her voice thick with sorrow and emotions. I try to force a smile at her, but nothing comes.

Everything about this feels wrong. The sun is beating down uncharacteristically for this season, people keep telling me how sad it is for a beautiful couple to be torn apart, and everyone acts like they know exactly who I am and how I feel. But they don't. Because even I don't know who I am; I do know how I feel though.

Anger radiates from my bones, a hollowness echoing from the empty space in my chest, and sadness from every thought of Tommy and his lack of presence. Not to mention, an overwhelming need to enact revenge and cause havoc on those that hurt me.

Tommy has always been—always was there one with the biggest dreams. He told me about how when we finally ran off together, he was going to do something good with his life. All that's gone now.

My head can't seem to process it. Tommy can't be the one in that coffin; he can't be dead. It's a mistake. I don't know how to cope if it's real. Because every second without hearing his voice or seeing his smile makes me feel like I'm drifting farther out to sea with no hope of returning.

Theta watches me with worry as I casually walk away without a word when the casket is finally lowered. "Where are you going?" She calls as she chases after me, but I ignore her as I keep walking.

Tears stream down my face as I clutch the same strip of paper that I've been memorizing since it was given to me. It's a simple message reading, James Mallory, but that's all the information I need. Just the simple name of the man who killed Tommy. Now all that's left is to find him—and kill him.

Except, I never make it that far. The emotions overwhelm me the moment I glance a policeman on the corner. It's not him, but the badge and glinting buttons bring back the horrors of that night in full force.

My vision is painted in red, hands feel sticky with imagined blood, and the faint sound of shouts and gunshots overtake the busy street in front of me. It all goes fuzzy. Cars and people feeling miles away as I struggle to stay upright.

A pair of hands stop my fall. For a blissful second, I almost think it's Tommy, despite the impossibility of the idea. Instead, it's a complete stranger with midnight black hair and eyes like sapphire. "You okay there, Miss?"

I nod and try to bite back the growing shame as realization hits of how foolish I'm being. No one just hurts a cop without a plan, yet I thought myself invincible enough to rush in and do just that. It's probably best I take some time to think through my revenge plan, but right now, I can barely take a step without stumbling.

The stranger offers me a tight smile and keeps hold to steady me. "Just give yourself a second. Take a minute to steady yourself before rushing off. After all, Madame Vitario probably did a number on you."

My head snaps up at the familiar name of the vile mystic woman who started this whole mess. "I should probably introduce myself, Ben Steeler." He tells me with a knowing smile as he extends his hand to shake my own.

His blue eyes watch me curiously as I look down at the floor in shame that I can't answer. "Not much of a talker? It's alright. If you change your mind and want to talk, come find me. I'm staying with my family in at the Aberdeen Hotel." There's something about his words that hold a double meaning, and his blue eyes stare into mine as if he's trying to convey the full weight of the offer.