4

It's been nearly two days, but in all honesty, it has felt like two decades. Pops hasn't stopped trying to comfort me in any way he can think of. Yet, I always push him away. He's done enough for me already.

So far, the only exchanges we've had is when I allowed him to take me back to the penthouse. Once we made it here, I refused to so much as look at him. I don't want to hate him, but it's the only thing I can currently feel towards him. Every ounce of familial love is buried under layers of malice caused by his desire for a daughter I could never truly be.

"Excuse me, Mr. Carter, but I'm here to see Elinor. She hasn't answered my calls and never showed up for lunch like we always go to on Tuesdays." Theta's familiar voice echoes through the apartment. I peek from my bedroom to witness her shoving her way past Pops into the penthouse and moving with such gusto that no one would dare stop her.

The moment she finds me perched at my windowsill, she closes the door with a tight smile. "Goodness, Birdy, you really can't scare me like that—or Thomas for that matter. He was in such a panic when you didn't show up at the Starlight."

I look down at my hands before returning my gaze to the city outside. "Birdy? Are-are you alright? Did your Pops do something crazy to 'reform' you again?" Tears build in my eyes at the question. I want so badly to tell her everything, to articulate even the barest explanation of what happened, but there's no words left in me. "Elinor, please, say something. You're scaring me."

The use of my actual name finally breaks me, and I clamp a hand over my mouth to avoid the horrifying noise that I now make. Theta wastes no time to wrap her arms around me. "Doll, you've gotta tell me what's wrong."

My breath comes in hiccups as I move out of her grip to my typewriter. Theta just watches me patiently as a crease appears between her brows. "It's a long story, and I don't even know if you'll believe me." The letters appear one at a time, and Theta reads each word aloud, her hair bouncing as she turns to me in confusion. So I continue on, telling her the whole thing as I break down in tears with each word.

By the time I've finished, there's a page and a half of neatly typed letters with that make up the entire story of how broken I've become. Theta turns to me with tears brimming over in those vibrant green eyes that make the boys fall for her in an instant. "We've got to get you out of here. There's no way I'm letting you stay here a moment longer."

I look to the door and hope she'll understand the question I'm posing. "Never mind him. Get dressed; I'm taking you to Thomas. He'll have a better idea of what to do about all of this." Theta lets out a heavy sigh. "Maybe it really was a bunch chin and you'll get it back. Either way, I'm not going to let you stay here a moment longer—and I'm sure Tommy will more than agree. Just get dressed, doll, I'll take care of the rest."

It only takes a minute before I'm dressed with my hair still in a frightful mess and not a spot of makeup on with an overnight bag in hand. Still, it's not as though I can bring myself to care at right now. All I can think about is Tommy, because I know just how angry he'll be when he hears about everything, and I can't afford to lose anything—or anyone—else.

Theta quickly comes back into the room with her head held high as she takes my hand and drags me after her. Pops barely looks up from his fidgeting hands as we stalk our way out the front door. I suppose he's too ashamed to face me or Theta. "Down to the lobby, please." She chimes politely to the operator as she keeps a hold of my hand and rubs gentle circles on it.

We make it to the Starlight in record time, and the old house looks like nothing more in the daylight. It helps me to understand why no one knows of the secrets and comfort it hides away. Although, I don't know how often I'll frequent here without being able to perform on stage.

It hurts to think of it. That woman stole so much more than my voice. She stole my chance of more moments with Tommy. The ones where we get lost in the music and find each other in the performance. Now, that is going to be lost with my voice.

"Ollie, thank you so much for letting us disrupt your schedule." Theta chimes as Ollie greets us at the door. "Like I said on the phone, it's a bit of an emergency."

"Of course, anything for my stars." He chuckles and drops his voice to a whisper. "Plus, it helps diffuse any suspicions. People coming over is a normal thing to do."

"And Thomas? Is he here yet?"

Ollie nods and nods inside. "A few minutes ago. He seemed quite flustered, wouldn't even sit down. Been waiting for you in the parlor."

As if the sound of his name draws him out, Tommy rounds the corner with wild eyes. The moment his eyes fall on me, he lets out a deep sigh of relief. "Birdy, you're okay. I was so terrified when Theta called saying something happened to you." My eyes water up as I drop my bag to the floor and all but collapse in his arms. "Wait, what's wrong?"

"We should sit down. It's a long story to tell." Theta interjects as she opens up her bag and unfolds the papers I typed out earlier. "Plus, you're certainly not going to like what you hear."

I sit helplessly with my hands fidgeting atop my lap as Theta recounts the whole gruesome tale to Thomas and Ollie in the words I told her earlier. Tommy turns to me as she speaks, eyes full of sorrow as each detail is recounted. My eyes fill with tears as I reach out for his hand. He quickly takes it in his and squeezes before standing up.

"That's it. I'm gonna kill him." He yells as he moves to march out the door. I jump into his path and set my jaw. "Birdy, please, let me do this."

I shake my head and extend my arms to block the door. "No." I try to speak out of habit, but of course, nothing comes out except another odd noise that hurts worse than almost anything else. Tommy's eyes immediately drop to me with such pain it makes my own heart ache in my chest.

"This shouldn't have happened to you. Despite what you say it is my fault." Tommy whispers with a sadness that resonates in me too. "I shouldn't have let it happen to you, Birdy. Especially not when I was just about to give us our one day."

I tilt my head at him wondering what on earth he could be talking about. Theta has the same question I did and actually voices it. Tommy finally meets my eye as he reaches into his coat pocket. It takes me a long moment to tear my eyes away from him and to the small, velvet box resting in his palm.

The sight of the box alone makes my breath catch in my throat, and I swear it becomes impossible to breathe when he flips open the lid. "I had asked for his permission a few days ago after you stopped by." Tommy whispers as he takes the emerald ring from its cushion and waits for my hand.

"It made me realize that I didn't want to wait any longer for us to have a someday. Not to mention, I know how much it hurt you and your father when your mum left, so I wanted to do it properly."

I place my hand in his and watch with teary eyes as he slides the ring onto my finger. My heart shatters in my chest. There's a part of me that wonders if this is genuine, if Tommy could still truly want to marry me. Although, like always, he seems to know exactly what I'm thinking. "Nothing in this world could make me love you any less. Even without a voice, you are still are still the same woman I feel in love with and want to have a thousand somedays with."

A real smile starts to dance across my lips. Because, right now I don't think I could love him any more than this exact moment. "We'll give you two some time." Theta chimes as she and Ollie slip out.

"Are you gonna be alright?" Thomas asks after a long moment of being wrapped in his arms. I nod against his chest and pretend that I'm not on the verge of tears.

"I'm gonna let that little lie slide for now, but I am gonna help you take your mind off of it. Tonight, we're both gonna knock back some gin, dance, and forget about our crazy parents for one night. How does that sound?"

A smile creeps across my face as I nod. It's a small comfort face a fear and find it irrational. At this point, I take every ounce of it, which seems to make Tommy a little bit happier.

There's his little smile across his lips that makes my heart melt a little at the sight of it. I start—just for a moment—to believe that maybe, things will be alright—maybe I can be happy with Tommy after all.