Drawing Down the Moon

Drawing Down the Moon is a specifically Wiccan ritual used to aid in spellcraft, and connect to the Goddess. This is the simplest ritual you could possibly attempt. You don't actually have to be outside, and the sky doesn't have to be clear. Just face the moon and say, I call and invoke the Goddess of the Full/Dark Moon into me, so that I may learn her wisdom and share her power. (You can also say an entire long verse if you want to. There's quite a few on the Hecate's Cauldron site.) 

Stand with arms raised, and feel as though you are in an open field. The night sky is illuminated with the moon's light, and you can see your moon-shadow on the ground. If it is a dark moon, there is no light in the sky at all except the stars, and darkness cloaks you. You feel yourself filling with either bright silver mist or dark smoke, depending on if the moon is Full or Dark. You feel the complete presence of the Goddess. I haven't done this one in a long time, but when it works, it feels very powerful. The true concept behind Drawing Down is invocation-- literally bringing the spirit of the Goddess into your own body! If that's overwhelming, you can just use this ritual to connect.

Now, do whatever spells or divination you want, or just stand there for a moment, then place your hands on the ground or eat something to ground your power.

***

If you're studying witchcraft, it's best to begin to pay attention to the moon's movements. At the very least, notice the full and dark moon, and do your workings then.

Dark Moon: Ideal time for Shadow Work, banishings, rebirth and renewal, initiation, introspection, setting goals for the next moon cycle, starting a new project, letting go of previous relationships to start new ones.

Waxing Moon: Spells that draw something to you (like luck or money). Spells for personal growth, self-improvement, creativity, attraction, inspiration, motivation.

Full Moon: Adds intensity to any spell. Charging crystals and water, charging and cleansing tools. Psychic ability and meditation. Protection or prosperity spells, healing, divination.

Waning Moon: Banishment. Releasing spells, reversing spells, restoration spells, removing obstacles, both cursing and cleansing.

Lunar Zodiac Spells:

♈︎ Taking action, protection rituals, strength, control, lust, sex.

♉︎ Money, love, relationships, stability, long-term results.

♊︎ Creativity, new ideas, travel, diplomacy. (be wary of erratic changes)

♋︎ Emotions, family, domestic life, fertility.

♌︎ Leadership, courage, careers (opportunities, promotions, etc).

♍︎ Education, health, healing.

♎︎ Balancing energies/extremes, partnerships/relationships, reconciliation, legal issues

♏︎ Divination, psychic powers, advanced magic, secrets, fertility, sexuality

♐︎ Intellect, truth, legal issues, education, new techniques

♑︎ Stability, organization, ambition, power, employment

♒︎ Creative power, friendship, overcoming addiction, psychic ability (can be erratic or unbalanced)

♓︎ Divination, clairvoyance, telepathy, telekinesis, meditation, dream magic.