34 Love

"I love you."

Her words catch him by surprise and he almost drops his bow. His face flushes as he stutters, "Wh-what?"

"The yellow acacias. Symbolizes friendship or a secret love. So which one were you trying to point out? I love you as a friend," she steps closer to him. "-or a lover?" When he only blinks in response, she continues, "I asked San since he seems to read a lot of books and he told me about it. Well, since you handed over those flowers, I can't help but wonder which one of the two it is." She narrows her eyes, "You can't expect me to leave it alone when you won't answer my question about its meaning, can you?"

He drops his bow, picks up an arrow before poking its tip with his finger, drawing a drop of blood. He eyes the blood before muttering, "Which one of the two do you think it is?"

"Which one of the two do you want it to be?"

"You look beautiful tonight, by the way."

"Are you avoiding my question?"

"I wanted you to hear it before I forget." He levels his eyes with Akira's, staring deep into hers. "The answer lies in my eyes."

"You know I can't see-" Her sentence is cut short as his fingers brush her cheeks lightly, bringing heat to her face, but she doesn't flinch.

"Not the colour, but my eyes. What do you see in them?"

She searches his eyes for the answer, and she knows that one is apparent. "Pain."

He straightens up his body, before smiling at her, the softest one yet so heavy with pain. "Then you have your answer." He turns back to his bow and arrow, firing multiple shots as every one hits the board with such force it is almost knocked backwards. He feels her watching him, but he is too lost in his own feelings.

All his life he has swore to himself that he would never associate with anyone from Lucida, thanks to a past dark memory that he can never shake off. To him, the people of Lucida is the evilest of the evilest, one that he can never keep close to him. Then Jongho came, and he starts to open up his heart to at least accept him as a friend. But now, Akira came, bringing her stubbornness and audacious attitude to Nyla, and he finds the walls he has built around him come crumbling down in front of his very eyes. Accepting his feelings towards her would mean that he's a traitor; a traitor to his parents' deaths.

He feels the tears rolling down his cheeks, ruining his face as the thoughts come back to haunt him. His vision becomes blurry as he drops his bow. He tries to hide his face from her, but it's a futile effort as he feels her hands cupping his face, wiping away the tears with her thumbs.

The general's face shows deep concern, and he finds himself bringing her close to him, wrapping her in his embrace. She doesn't fight back as he buries his face in her shoulder, crying his heart out. Her right hand rubs his back and her left hand grips his right, their fingers intertwining. She can feel the scar on his right hand, one that he earned because he had wanted to go with her to save Yunho. One that he wouldn't have gotten if only she were to go on the mission alone.

Yet, it now proves as a mark that the people whom she's only known for a while, is more trustworthy than the one she has known for years.

He pulls away but he doesn't let go of her hand, his face streaked with tears. His next step is an impulsive one; he dips his head low until his lips hover over hers, their breaths colliding. He studies her eyes, searching for permission and as she slightly nods, he dives in, locking their lips together. The tears roll down once more as he feels her soft lips sliding over his, the feeling of her so near to him making him throw away all of his apprehension. It lasts for what feels like a million years, with him lingering as if he doesn't want to let go. Her fingers dig into the back of his hand, gripping him with so much tenderness. Their lips separate, and he pulls her into a hug again as she wraps her arms around him. He kisses her forehead with care, as if the action itself is a confession on its own.