Activation

It's about three o'clock; Gabriel has been texting me, asking if he could come over like we used to do everyday. At least, it was like that over the summer. The way we met is very random, if I'm being honest here. We were acquainted with each other for a while before he actually started talking to me. Gabriel would compliment me on things I hadn't really paid any mind to. For instance, my legs are muscular, curvy, big, whatever you want to call it. He would admire them enough to say something. There was also my hair, which is natural, so it was a little bit of a shock for a guy to say a nice thing about that, but he always did.

         We started texting each other but there was just too much going on for either of us to stay consistent. Then, months later, sophomore year, he decides to meet me at the neighborhood park. Ever since that day, we've been hanging out constantly. He's my opposite: caring, optimistic, hyper, anxious, and extroverted. I guess now I sound like a terrible person.

         My phone vibrates; Gabriel's calling me again. Of course, he is as impatient as I don't know what.

        "Hello?"

        "Niiooooooo, yo I'm coming over right now, I need to see you ."

        "Okay, okay," I chuckle, "-but remember don't overstay your welcome."

          "Yea, yea I got it, byee!"

          I hear the phone click and I smile, he is so energetic it's unfathomable to me how he's able to stay like that. It can't just be his ADHD.

           Actually, now that I think about it, Gabriel is a weird guy;  he isn't a Divine like me but his ability isn't…normal. Those who aren't "Blessed with Divinity", as they say, tend to have more physical abilities. Kind of like Henry and his super speed. Gabriel's powers aren't Primordial per say, those are moderately common. Earth, fire, water, electricity, and wind are the Primordials, even though fire is more of a plasma. His powers are like pure energy, manifested into bolts of "lightning". He just can't absorb, control, or create electricity. Truly, a strange guy.

              I've been vegetating in my room for the last couple hours. I should probably get ready to see him. I hop out of my bed and into the bathroom. The twists in my hair should be completely dry by now and I undo them, careful not to cause a lot of frizz. Then, I run back into my room to get dressed: a random bra and underwear (that never covers my whole butt), some sweats, and a raggedy ass cami. I take one last look at myself, shake my hair around a little bit, and go downstairs.

          About ten minutes later, I get the text from him that he's here.

        "Jordan's here!" I exclaim.

          My sister pokes her head out from the kitchen, while Michael and Joseph, run to the door. Even Josiah, in his high chair, looks away from his food towards the door. It's like an event whenever Gabriel comes over; ugh such a people person.

            I go open the door and I'm greeted by his smiling face.

         "Hey, friend." Gabriel beams at me as he comes inside.

            I chuckle, "Hey Gabriel."

           Joseph and Michael have already made themselves at home in the den room Gabriel and I always hang out in.

        Michael grins devilishly at Gabriel, "Hi, Nio's boyfriend." I walk closer to him and slap the back of his humongous head, "Please, shut up Michael." He yelps and scowls at me as he stomps away. Probably to tell on me to Mom  like he always does. Joseph just shrugs and sits on the bench against the wall. Gabriel is already on the couch with the XBox controller in his hand. I make myself comfortable beside him and look at the tv screen.

          "Gabriel, guess what?"

          "Huh, oh wassup?"

          "I Manifested something this morning." Gabriel pauses the game he was playing and looks over at me with eager eyes. It's ridiculously easy to impress him. He grabs onto my thigh and arm, gently shaking me, "Bruh, what did you make?!"

           I smile shyly, "All I made was a dagger. It Activated too, while I was sleeping, like it was ready to kill me." Gabriel's face has been cheesing intensely this whole time; he has such a warm smile.

        "Seems like it was ready to protect you."

         We look at each other for a little bit then he inevitably asks me, "Well, I wanna see it, go get it Nio." When he says that it reminds me that I have to show Jacqueline anyways. Reluctantly, I go upstairs to retrieve it. Before I can even get more than halfway up the steps, something sparkles in the sunlight at the top of the stairs. It's beautiful and glass-like; its tip points at me and starts rushing down the stairs. 

          Oh holy fuck.