―one

In the small town of Derry, the sun slowly began to rise north due east. As the sun rose, the light seeped into the motel room of Emily Winchester causing the teenager to stir in her sleep.

Emily Winchester had been living in Derry for a total of five weeks, the teenager having already built up her motel room to reflect her personality. Alike to most teenage rooms, it was messy, random clothing, shoes, trash, and papers littering the bland carpet floors. Anyone who stepped into the motel room and looked at the papers on the ground would quickly notice that the papers were not normal school notes. No, they would see the papers held different hypothesis, theories, legends, and myths with pictures of creatures that people identified mostly as folklore.

However, no one would pay mind to the papers on the floor as their attention would no doubt be drawn to what was hanging on the old flowery wallpapered wall of the motel room. Just across from the queen-sized bed, hanging up on the wall was a ginormous investigation chart. Within the chart were maps, multiple missing children's posters, notes on a multitude of legends and folklore, and many more odd things that definitely would not be hanging in the room of any normal teenage girl.

Red and blue strings attached many of these items, tying it all together looking for any sort of similarities.

Unlike Emily first believed, whatever it was that was haunting the streets of Derry was not a wendigo. Nor was it any werewolf or vampire. If Emily was being honest with herself, she truly had no idea what it was that was causing all the children to go missing. Not only were the children of Derry going missing, but the adults also seemed to be under some sort of powerful influence making them more careless than normal.

Emily had walked into Derry thinking this case would be rather simple, unfortunately, she was proven wrong. For the past five weeks, Emily had been going in circles, hitting dead ends with what this monster could possibly be. All she had was the missing children to go off of, and considering she had no clue where they were going missing to, Emily was empty-handed.

She considered a potential witch case, but this was far too much for any average witch to be capable of. Maybe a coven of witches, but even that didn't add up.

This was not how she envisioned her first hunt by herself to go.

The worst part about all this was that when John Winchester called to check up on her every few days, Emily was forced to lie and say she was making progress. She could not tell her father the truth, tell him that the case was turning out to be a complete and utter bust. If she told him that then John would not hesitate in driving back down to Derry claiming he made a mistake thinking she was old enough to handle this herself.

In Emily's defense, this case was different from any she had ever been on. Whatever this creature is was something that Emily and her family had never run into. Therefore this made her job all the much harder because she was now forced to research any legend and myths surrounding different monsters.

Luckily for her, the Derry library held an abundance of stories and lore on monsters, many of which Emily had never even heard of.

The Winchester girl bounced from witches to a rougarou to a rogue hellhound, but nothing seemed to fit the description no matter how far she delved into it. At this rate, she would get nowhere by the time her dad was meant to pick her up in three months.

As the light trickled through the open curtains of Emily's motel room, spraying across her face, the girl moaned in her sleep, turning her body over. For what seemed like the twelfth time that month alone, Emily had fallen asleep in the midst of reading up on a book titled 'Tales of the Dead', a legend book on the different monsters that supposedly roamed America.