―five

"Whoa, whoa, whoa... wow!" Richie's eyes were wide underneath his large bifocals.

As everyone entered Ben Hanscom's room, they were greeted with the sight of many news clippings ranging over the span of many years and photographs depicting crime scenes and special events.

Emily eagerly drank in the information, pausing to read over any article that caught her eye. The rest of them did the same; however, only Emily and Bill seemed to take the most interest in it.

From where he stood by the door of his closet, Ben smiled. "Cool, huh?"

Richie walking through the room, his eyes barely grazing over the articles, shook his head.
"No, no, nothing cool. There's nothing cool..." Richie's voice slowly faded to the background for Emily, her gaze lingering on a small clipping about a little girl who went missing just over twenty-seven years ago. "Well, this is cool... wait, no. It's not."

   While most may have found all the clippings odd, this was normal for Emily. Hell, her motel room currently looked like this as well.

"What's that?" Emily vaguely heard Stan ask, her mind to focused on absorbing the information presented to her.

The date was titled September 4, 1961.

   Elizabeth Fox, a nine-year-old girl has been pronounced missing by the Derry authorities. The little girl was last spotted wearing a yellow sundress playing by a small sewage grate on Spinner Street. Elizabeth is the tenth child within the past year to go missing, this is not including the four adults who have also gone missing. (See page 4.) The parents, Daniel and Sandra Fox are begging anyone with information on their missing child to please step forward.

Emily felt chills go down her spine at the article, her eyes racing over many other similar articles. The thing that Emily noticed after reading the sixth article was that the incidents where people went missing seemed to happen about every twenty-seven years.

"Ninety-one people signed the charter that made Derry, but later that winter they all disappeared without a trace..." Emily's attention was brought away from her thoughts and to the voice of Ben.

Everyone was looking at the boy as he spoke about the long history of Derry. From Emily's perspective, it sounded like Derry was a weird place from the beginning.

"The entire camp?" Eddie questioned in disbelief, Ben giving a small nod.

"Yeah, there were rumors of Indians, but there was no sign or proof of an attack. Everyone thought it was a plague or something... but it's like one day everybody just woke up and left. The only clue was a trail of bloody clothes leading to the well-house." Ben finished, Emily, walking up next to him, standing between him and Richie.

"It's like Roanoke," Emily noted breathlessly, initially talking to herself, and yet it caught the attention of everyone in the room.

Furrowing his brows, not liking the way Emily appeared nervous as she gazed at the charter, Richie cleared his throat. "What's Roanoke, Emily?" The bifocaled boy questioned with a tone that for the first time since he had ever spoken to her, was serious.

Beverly, Ben, Bill, Eddie, and Stan all were looking at the older girl expectantly.

The legend of Roanoke was a story that her father used to tell her and her brothers as a means to scare them when they were younger. The terrifying part of the story was that, unlike most parents who told their children scary tall tales, the story of Roanoke was entirely true.