―fourteen

Endings are hard

   Endings are hard. So are goodbyes. Emily was learning that as she stood outside the Derry Townhouse with the Loser's grouped around her and her suitcase.

   She had taken all the books she checked out from the library back the previous day, and her friends helped her clean up her motel room. All that was left in the last five minutes they had together was saying goodbye.

   It was mid-afternoon Saturday on August 28th, 1989; the day her dad said he would be picking her up or coming to help her if she had not already killed the monster. Emily felt that what happened over the summer of 89' was personal and would forever be cherished in her memories. This would be the summer that she always remembered; meeting her friends, gaining her first boyfriend, and fighting a demonic shapeshifting clown would definitely go into the books.

   For the last month of summer, the Loser's had spent nearly every single day together. Whether it be swimming at the quarry, getting ice cream, or even sitting in the library reading up on Derry's spooky history, they were together. Beverly's aunt had recently come to take care of her in her late father's place, and much to everyone's happiness her aunt was the coolest adult around. Beverly loved her and already saw her as a mother.

   It was because of this new change in Beverly's life that Beverly had been allowed to have Emily sleepover, they had three sleepovers in that last month. However, that number was nothing compared to Richie and Emily. They had a sleepover at least every other day, Richie's parents were surprisingly cool with letting Emily sleep in his bedroom with him. To be fair, they knew Richie and Emily's relationship was still in the early works and they had nothing to fear concerning sexual advances.

   They were correct, as despite Richie often making crude sex jokes, he and she never went any farther than the occasional makeout. Something Richie and Emily both loved.

   But now, their short time together had come to an end. Richie and Emily were heartbroken, both of them knowing that a long-distance relationship would not work, so they were forced to break up. Though, Richie and the others made Emily promise to call them as often as she could.

   "Baby, come on, you don't need to go, you can stay with me and my parents. They won't mind, I swear!" Richie had been trying to convince Emily to stay for the entire month, but it was not working.

   Shaking her head, Emily simply smiled. "My dad won't go for it." She said sadly, frowning when she saw Richie tearing up.

   "Are you... crying?" Stan accused Richie, amusement heavy in his tone.

   Sniffling, Richie glared at Stanley, wiping tears off his cheeks. "No, you are!" He yelled defensively, Stan backing away while holding his arms up.

   "Oh, Richie." Emily sighed, feeling tears threatening to fall from her own eyes.

   Stepping forward, Emily engulfed Richie in a tight hug, both of them simply hanging onto each other. John was due to arrive any minute, they both knew that, and they intended to use every extra minute they had together.