The Future

Vivian Lodge sat in the sheriff stations waiting room, Jughead beside her holding and icepack to her head. Her leather jacket was wrapped tightly around her, zipped up even to try and provide her comfort. She hadn't been on duty that night but she still found herself in the line of fire when it came to the Kids of Riverdale, as she usually did. FP Jones was in the other room, interrogating the man that had dressed up as the gargoyle king and rallied a group of boys from the school to abduct and terrorize the two boys that were hiding out in Foxforest. The sound of FP yelling was muffled but still heard, only this time, it was her name.

"I'm so sorry," Jughead whispered. He brought a hand up to wipe away some of the blood located on her cheek from the blow she had taken. She looked at him and pursed her lips. "Viv, what happened?"

She rolled her eyes. "Little fucker, got me with a shovel. Your dad called me after he did you, after a bunch of questions about where I was and if I was okay, he told me about Kev and I offered to go out to the forest to look as he rallied everyone. If my Dad hadn't called, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. But you know my dad. "

The shouting in the other room continued. "Well you know my dad," Jughead returned. "Since I'm fine, he's going to be on a warpath about you."

"He's a good man, Jug," she said, smiling and leaning back into her seat, she wished she could say the same for herself. She shook the thought from her head and as the door to the interrogation room opened, she looked up to see FP walked out, and other deputies walk in to bring the man into holding.

"Vivian," he said quietly, sadness in his voice as he looked at her. He walked towards them and she stood up as best she could. "I'm so sorry," he said, throwing his arms around her and holding her as close he could without hurting her. She hugged him back tightly and felt his kiss on the top of her head.

"It's fine, I'd do anything for these kids," she said, pulling back. He looked down at her teary eyed. She gave a reassuring smile and cupped his cheek. "Come on, lets head back to Sunnyside."

He looked at Jughead who was smiling at them then back to her, the soft smile on her face made him nod slightly, putting an arm around her and his son, the three heading outside to his truck. The ride back to the southside was a quiet one, Vivian had her head on Jughead's shoulder, which he welcomed happily. He still held the icepack in place as soft music played through the speakers in the truck. She was doing what she could to not fall asleep, because she knew she probably had a concussion and she would be going to the hospital the next morning, as she refused to at the site of the incident.

It surprised her when FP shut the engine off and she sat up slowly, taking hold of the icepack from Jughead as she did. She unbuckled the belt as Jughead did and he opened the door. He climbed out and Vivian scooted to the outer seat, getting ready to exit as well. "Jug, wait at the door, I gotta talk to Viv really quick."

Jughead hesitated but Vivian's nod made him slowly close the door and walk towards the trailer. They were silent at first but when she finally turned to him, fresh blood trickling down the side of her cheek, his expression was pained. "FP," She whispered.

He gripped the steering wheel tightly and shook his head. "I shouldn't have sent you alone," he said quietly. "I should have had you meet me at the station."

"FP, you couldn't have known, and besides, I slowed them down quite a bit," she said, leaning forward. She took his chin in her small hand and turned his face to hers. "We fought for a good 20 minutes before one of them used the shovel, who knows, if I hadn't of done that, they might have succeeded."

"He wasn't going to kill them," he said, shaking his head. "He was just trying to scare them. We caught him but you... you got hurt and that's on me, Viv."