Chapter 2

"Shit, you're a whole ass dude," Jungkook grunted, doing a small jump to hoist the male further up his back. The new acquaintances were stood at the top of the steep basement staircase, plan ready to be acted upon.

"Th-this is a bad idea, you should just--," Taehyung stuttered weakly, whispering out the rest of the sentence, "--leave me."

Jungkook frowned, feeling a cold nose nuzzle into the crook of his neck. Sure, he could leave the guy behind, but he just couldn't bring himself to leave those puppy eyes to suffer. Who the fuck would be shit enough to not help someone in a situation like this?

After their introductions, the two had sat in the basement coming up with a plan. Jungkook learned that Taehyung is nineteen and apparently can't run properly due to a tender ankle. They weighed their options and that's how it came down to Jungkook ditching his beloved duffle bag in order to carry the boy to his own van.

"Fuck it, I can't hear shit. We need to get out of here." Jungkook gruffed, ear pressed against the door as he cocked the gun in his hand. The slimmer of the two, Taehyung, clung onto the larger male as a koala would to a tree trunk. They both knew they were probably too calm for what was happening, but panic never gets anyone anywhere good.

Carefully, they pushed the door open a crack to listen to their surroundings. Hearing nothing but silence, they both nodded silently as confirmation to go. Stealthily as one can be with a full teenage boy on their back, Jungkook ran down the short end of the hallway to the back door.

Jungkook could hear his heart beating against the wall of his sternum. The television had been cut off along with all lights, the only illumination was emitting from the thermostat on a wall by the exit. A floorboard creak was heard behind the pair.

"I have eyes everywhere."

The soul drained from Jungkook's body as he heard a man's eerily wretched voice from behind them. Taking a deep breath, Jungkook turned around, hastily pulling the trigger to his gun with a blind aim. Taehyung let out a cry from the loud blast as Jungkook grabbed onto the boy's thighs, running with all might to the navy blue van. Across the roads, through the determinedly falling rain, all could be heard was hard breath and the sound of neighbors at their doors and windows wondering what the hell that bang was.

Launching open the driver's side door, Jungkook quickly pushed Taehyung in overtop the gear shift and into the second seat. Hopping in, he quickly turned the ignition followed by slamming into reverse and zooming off.

Sweat and rain were dripping down both of their faces, Taehyung curled up in his seat as Jungkook made some hard turns. The tires screeched an agonizing cry against the pavement, tossing the driver and passenger off balance on the inside.

It was a while before finally slowing down as they got onto the long bridge. Jungkook was tense, his knuckles a ghostly white as he clutched the wheel in tight fists, glare dead ahead as they made it onto Ilsan Highway.

An hour of driving passed, the air full of silence as the adrenaline wore off, allowing thoughts to flow through the brains of both youths. "Do you have a radio?" Taehyung's small voice asked, Jungkook's head snapping towards it.

Sputtering a small cough, Jungkook looked back at the road as he fidgeted slightly, "No, um, it was stolen." he was caught off guard when his ears caught hold of a small giggle, "Why are you laughing?" Jungkook queried. 

"There's a song I used to love about a stolen car radio." Taehyung cracked his first genuine seeming smile, be it small, it still rested harmoniously upon his face.

"Sounds stupid, who would write a song about that?" Jungkook scoffed, not noticing the fall of Taehyung's stature. Tapping on the steering wheel, they both still had a lingering uneasiness. "I honestly have no fucking clue what to do right now." He confessed, tapping on the steering wheel.

"Can I go to your home with you?" Taehyung asked, hopeful.

Shaking his head, Jungkook glanced to the other lad. "I can't put my friend in danger. I fucking shot a man, dude." Widening his eyes as it sunk it again, "He said he had eyes everywhere! Fuck that, we're running outta this bitch."

"If it's any reassurance, I've been in his basement for three years." Taehyung shrugged, picking at his nails passively.

Jungkook's jaw dropped, "Now how is that supposed to make me feel better?" he asked, startled by Taehyung's attempt at comfort. Blowing out a burst of air, he leaned back in his seat. "Now I'm angry and sad 'cause I can't even imagine dealing with that."

Humming a bit, an idea popped into the hopeful boy's head. "Y'know what would make me feel better right now?" Taehyung piped, eyes big as Jungkook turned to him expectantly, "I'd like some waffles!"

Jungkook sighed, stress still eating away at his mood. "Sure, let's get some waffles." Turning his wheel, they pulled onto the exit as Taehyung started mumbling about missing waffles and American style meals he used to enjoy.

This whole situation was far too lax. For what just happened, you'd think Taehyung would seem traumatized and scared, but it was the opposite. The male was chowing down on his waffles, giggling about the diner's flickering vintage sign. Jungkook hadn't even taken a bite of his scrambled eggs, a question burning the tip of his tongue.

"Why aren't you scared?" Jungkook breathed out his question, the guy in front of him halting all movements, a clump of syrup-soaked waffle falling from his fork.

Taehyung looked down at his plate, just fiddling with his nearly gone food. "What is it that I'm supposed to be afraid of now?"

"Of me, I guess. I mean, I'm a fucking criminal." Jungkook scoffed, "Besides, after all you've been through, I'd expect you to be at least a little anxious!"

Finally, Taehyung looked back up to meet the other's gaze, raising his eyebrow inquiringly, "Do you want me to be intimidated by you?" Jungkook didn't answer the other's question, just shrugged and bit down on his hashbrowns. Taehyung sighed,  "I feel the safest that I've felt in a very long time."

The sound of a song playing from the overhead speakers rang faintly across the diner, accompanied some cheery kids show on the television. It would be comfortable if it weren't for the irksome buzzing that took over the cartoon playing.

The programming switched and suddenly there was a balding news anchor on screen, "A cold case of a missing teenage boy from 4 years ago now has a new lead." The anchor spoke formally, sending Jungkook's blood running cold as a picture of Taehyung and himself faded onto the screen, "It is believed that he is being held hostage and on the run with his captor, Jeon Jungkook."

The video switched, there now being a blonde woman on screen, behind her a fuzzy photo of Jungkook and Taehyung, seemingly taken from a traffic light camera. "Thank you, Heechul. If you see anyone who matches their descriptions, please call the crime line. Jeon Jungkook is also wanted under the suspicion of committing several home burglaries and connection to attempted homicide."

Jungkook stood up quickly, "They think I kidnapped you?!" He choked, eyes darting to the woman behind the counter who has now halted all her cleaning.

Taehyung frowned. "You're the one who rescued me."

"Well, obviously, they don't fucking know that, Taehyung!" He shouted, running a shaky hand through his dark hair.

"Are you boys okay?" The waitress asked nervously from her spot behind the counter.

"We were never here." Jungkook urged, quickly pointing and looking her dead in the eye. The woman nodded frantically, anxiously running off through their kitchen doors. Jungkook grabbed Taehyung's hand, pulling him from the booth and out the door.

Some well-planned burglary this turned out to be.