A Warm Welcome

“Hey, Link!” Sidon said as he raised Link off the ground and engulfed him with his arms in an embrace. Link felt warmed by the Zora Prince’s hug. It was like being enveloped by warm bed sheets, but the pillows were filled with muscles instead of feathers. Link was able, for a moment, to rest his head against Sidon’s chest. He could hear the beat of Sidon’s heart, and it was strangely beating at a fast pace. Perhaps he had just finished a training session.

Sidon released Link from his grasp, “We’ve heard the good news, Link! You and Zelda defeated Calamity Ganon and sealed him away!”

Link nodded his head. For some reason he felt less fidgety after hugging Sidon. How strange it was that the person who created his anxiety was the one to soothe it.

“This is marvelous! Come! Come! We must get you to King Dorephan!” Sidon said as he grabbed Link’s hand and led him to the throne room.

“I want you to know how proud my father and I are that you succeeded in your mission to save Hyrule! I’m sure Mipha is smiling down upon us at this very moment!”

“Uh...Sidon…” Link was trying desperately not to blush, “I know where the throne room is... You don’t have to lead me there…”

Sidon looked and studied Link for a second. He glanced down and realized what Link was meaning. He let his grip of Link go and both their arms feel to the sides of their bodies. “Right. Yes, my mistake…”

They remained in silence for a brief moment until Sidon spoke up, “I was wondering, Link. What brings you back to Zora’s Domain, and without Zelda for that matter?”

“Zelda wanted to send me here.”

“Yes, yes. I understand that, but is there any other reason, Link?”

Link drew in a long, deep breath, “Zelda decided that rebuilding Hyrule is the number one priority right now, so she sent me here to begin rebuilding in Zora’s Domain while she rebuilds in Gerudo Town because I cannot enter the city by her side since they would recognize that I am a voe. ‘Divide and Conquer.’”

There was a pause in the conversation, “You know, that is the most I’ve ever heard you talk before, Link!” Sidon said as he smiled and nudged Link in the arm.

Link smiled gently at Sidon in return of the playful gesture. They locked eyes for only a moment, but that moment was filled with an intoxicating bliss.

Together, they approached the throne room where King Dorephan resided; passing Mipha’s statue, Marot’s Market, and the statue of Hylia as they went. Finally, they reached the summit of Zora’s Domain which was situated underneath the mouth of a giant, stone fish. Inside the throne room was quite impressive. The floor was essentially almost all water, except for the platform that lied in the middle of the room and the platforms that lied on both sides of the King. Dorephan’s throne was a magnificent piece of architecture that resembled dorsal fins.

Sidon entered the room first and sauntered to his position located to King Dorephan’s left. His father was a humongous specimen that resembled the size and heart of a whale. Dorephan was an incredibly kind ruler that always vied for the well-being of his people. Link had always found him to be quite endearing and welcoming. The only other person in the room was Muzu, an elder of the Zora that, at one point, despised Hylians like Link. He has since however changed his opinion of Hylians after Link helped save Zora’s Domain from Vah Ruta.

Link stepped forward onto the center platform. He had become very accustomed to this affair due to his involvement with Vah Ruta.

“Link! How wonderful it is to see you again!” King Dorephan’s voice echoed through the stone room.

Link politely nodded his head.

“I want to congratulate you for the strength and resilience you showed against Calamity Ganon, and I want to thank you, on behalf of all my people, for saving Hyrule!”

Sidon clapped his hands in admiration for Link.

“Thank you, King Dorephan.” Link said.

“This is cause for celebration!” King Dorephan looked towards his right.  

“Muzu!”

“Yes, your highness?”

“Get preparations ready! We are going to host a royal ball!”

“Yes, right away, sir.” Muzu trudged out of the room.

Dorephan looked back towards the center of the room.

“Master Link, I insist that you rest in Zora’s Domain for the royal ball!” King Dorephan boomed.

“Thank you, King Dorephan. I will take you up on that offer.” Link replied.

“Wonderful!” He then rotated his head towards the left side of his throne room.

“Sidon, I entrust Link’s protection and care to you.”

“You won’t be disappointed, father!” The smile on Sidon’s face stretched from ear to ear, and exposed his sharp, pearly white teeth.

“Very well, then! This meeting is adjourned!”

As soon as King Dorephan finished his sentence, Sidon was already by Link’s side.

“Come, Link! There’s so much we must do!” Sidon was extremely giddy at the prospect of getting to spend more time with Link, but he was careful not to grab Link’s hand again like he did before.

Link stepped down from the platform. He looked into Sidon’s eyes and smiled. For a moment, he could have sworn he saw Sidon blush, but he just assumed it was only the coloration of Sidon’s skin.