Bone and All

Link had his back pressed against the angled wall of stone, and Sidon was to his left. Link was just small enough to be hidden by the slanted wall. Sidon was approximately 10 ft. away from where Link was. He was hidden behind the larger end of the slanted wall.

Link peered over the wall. The top of Polymus Mountain was a somewhat level clearing except for the sparse bunches of trees and jutting stones. Link noticed the lynel. It had the normal build of a lynel, broad shoulders, muscular, and tall. It's body was a dark chocolate shade of brown and its mane was the crimson color of blood. It was intimidating to say the least, but Link was well versed in exterminating lynels.

Link spotted Finley and Sasan. They were hiding behind one of the large jutting stones, trying to carefully keep out of the lynel's view.

"What's the plan, Link?" Sidon whispered.

Link stopped peering over the wall and faced Sidon.

"We need to distract the lynel so we can get Finley and Sasan out safely."

Link peered over the wall once more to study every detail of the lynel. It had the standard sword, shield, and bow lynels always had, but it was equipped with lightning arrows.

Link turned back to Sidon, "This lynel has lightning arrows, so you HAVE to stay hidden. We need a way to communicate with Finley and Sasan."

Link scanned the ground and found a few pebbles. He reached over and grabbed one.

"I could throw this pebble in the other direction to draw the lynel away." Link felt the pebble in his hand. It was smooth and about the size of an eyeball.

"Once it's far enough away, I'll sprint to them and tell them that you're over here. I'll fight the lynel while Finley and Sasan run to you. Then, you guys can escape."

Sidon was obviously distressed by Link's plan. "Is there no way for us to get away without you having to fight the lynel?"

Link looked into Sidon's eyes. He could see that Sidon was worried and didn't want Link to risk getting hurt.

"Sidon, this lynel has caused problems for the Zora for quite a while. If I defeat it now, then you'll never have to worry about it again. Blood moons don't rise anymore."

Sidon looked down at the ground. "I know, Link… I just don't want to risk…losing you…"

"Sidon, I promise you that I will make it back to Zora's Domain. If I can defeat Calamity Ganon, then I can sure as hell mop the floor with a lynel."

Sidon looked at Link. He thought it over and then said, "You promise?"

Link grinned. "I promise."

Sidon smiled back. He felt more reassured about the situation. "What are we waiting for then?"

Link peeped over the wall and noticed that the lynel was slowly creeping closer to Finley and Sasan. This operation had to be done quickly to be successful. Link launched the pebble to the far right of the lynel behind a tree. Fortunately, the lynel noticed the noise the pebble created and turned around. As the lynel went to check out what made the noise, Link bolted to Finley and Sasan.

“Oh, Link! Thank you for coming to our res-” Link shushed Finley. The lynel heard Finley’s voice and paid no attention to the pebble anymore. It marched towards the stone they hid behind and pulled out its bow.

“Listen. Sidon is over there waiting for you guys. I’m going to distract the lynel so you guys can escape. When you see an opening to run. DO NOT hesitate. Bolt it,” Link pulled out his Royal Bow and strung one of his arrows.

“Are you crazy?! I can’t run from that thing!” Sasan quibbled.

Link gave Sasan a stern look. “It’s either run or be killed, Sasan. You can do this.”

“Listen to Link, babe. He’ll protect us from the lynel.” Finley gestured.

Sasan succumbed to Link and Finley’s argument. He gave Link a shaky nod of his head. Even if it wasn’t as assured as Link wanted, nonetheless, it was a nod.

Link stood up in a strong manner. “Let’s do this!” He sprinted to the left of the boulder they were hiding behind, and shot at the lynel to grab its attention. The arrow struck the lynel in the chest, 2 inches below where its heart was located. The beast was angered. It grabbed the shaft of the arrow and snapped it in half, throwing the tail end behind it.

The lynel raised its own savage bow. In order to load a shock arrow, the beast needed to look down. Link used this moment to his advantage, he launched an arrow that struck the beast directly in the face. It fell forward, stunned. Link closed the gap between him and the beast and unsheathed his Master Sword. He slashed at the beast, cutting the hide like a butcher. Each slash cutting deep into the dazed lynel. Its blood coated Link’s sword and clothes like caramel covering an apple.

The beast regained a bit of its composure and swung at Link with its sword. Link dodged and retreated to a distance where he could intercept the lynel’s movement without risking getting struck by its sword.

The two stared at each other, waiting for the other to make a move. The lynel had suffered a large deal of damage, but the furry and adrenaline kept it going.

Link thought to himself. “Sasan and Finley haven’t had an opening to run yet. I can’t risk the lynel charging them. It’s too fast for me to stop if it does. If I can take out one of its legs, then they would have the opening they need.”

Link gripped the hilt of the Master Sword harder. He slid his right leg backwards, and bolted towards the lynel, kicking up dirt as he went. The lynel also ran forward to intercept Link. All four of its legs pounded against the ground. The distance was quickly closing between the two. The beast reared back its sword, waiting for the moment to strike.

“Now!”

The lynel swung its savage sword with such strength that Link could feel the wind whipping before the blade was even close to him. Link ducked and slide forward underneath the beast’s blade, and as the beasts legs drew closer to Link, he sliced the fore and hind legs of the lynel’s right side. Bone and all.

The beast fell forward and howled in agony. Blood poured from its injuries. It was no longer in any shape to stand, let alone fight.

Finley and Sasan used this opportunity to sprint to Sidon’s side. The three of them then hurried down the mountain to Zora’s Domain.

Link ambled over to the lynel with pleasure. Another one of Ganon’s spawn defeated. The beast tried one more vain attempt to damage Link by swinging its sword. The speed and strength of the swing had greatly diminished. Link parried the attack and sent the lynel’s sword sky high. Cutting deep into the earth once it landed at a far distance behind them. Link grabbed the lynel’s mane, the torture on the beast’s face was gratifying to Link. He lived for the thrill of combat.

Link lunged his sword through the lynel’s neck. A twisted face of pain crawled across its face, and then its muscles relaxed. Its large brown eyes rolled backwards into its head, and its body went limp. Link had slain the beast without mercy.