Chapter 14

ADAM

I'm getting ready to leave, ring in hand and a whole speech ready to go. I look down and ask myself for the hundredth time if I really want to show up at her place, where she lives with her boyfriend, and ask her to marry me after three years spent apart. It's 10 levels passed crazy.

But I had to do it. If I didn't, I'd regret it all my life. If I had to suffer a slight beating from her boyfriend for her to hear me out, so be it. I'd take it.

I finally sigh and leave my condo. I jump into my car, and my phone starts buzzing in my pocket.

"Hey sis," I say, after seeing Suzie's name on the screen. "What's up?" I desperately want to tell her what I'm about to do to get some encouragement, but on the off chance she would talk me down, I decide to bite my tongue.

"Um...so this is uncomfortable. I don't know what happened between you two the night of my wedding, but... I just saw Elle at the drugstore... And well, I don't know how to say this. Actually, I'm really not suppose to say anything. I told her I wouldn't tell you, but..."

"Suz, just spit it out already," my heart clenches when I hear her say Elle's name in that tone. The tone that says that bad news is coming.

"I think she's pregnant..." she mumbles.

I freeze. My heart, my mind, my breath, my movements, literally everything stops.

And then everything starts spinning.

"Adam, are you there?" Suzie asks.

A strangled "mhm," is all I manage.

"I figured it was better you heard it from me than find out online," she continues.

I don't follow her on social media anymore; she had deleted me a long time ago, and maybe it was best for both of us. But I don't mention it to my sister. Mostly because I can't speak.

"I'm sorry sis, I have to go," I barely whisper, and hang up.

I look down at the small box in my hand. I don't know how long I stay in my car, in complete darkness, just staring at the ring.

I rub my chest to try and ease the pain, without any success.

In desperate need of a glass, or ten, of scotch, I make my way back up to my condo. I shove the ring in my jacket pocket, knowing it will never be worn by anyone if it's not going to be her.

___

ELLE

After cleaning up the mess and washing the pee off of my hands—these tests could be a little more user friendly—I sit on my bathroom floor and wait patiently, trying to focus on my breathing.

Once the time's up, I brace myself and look at the test.

I double check to make sure.

Yep. It's positive.

Ok.

Don't panic.

Don't panic.

Don't... actually, panic isn't sinking in at all.

I mentally double check myself to make sure I'm good, but instead of freaking out, I smile.

I smile, and my heart warms.

Because all my life there's only been one person with who I've ever wanted to have a child, and there is only one person that could be the father. I hadn't slept with Rick in almost two months before my night with Adam.

Weirdly, I never felt ready to be a mother until this very moment. Granted it was not an ideal situation, but if I couldn't be with Adam, at least I could raise my child knowing that he or she was conceived with the man I loved, conceived in a night of pure passion and—if only for that night—all consuming love.

And I'm ok with that.

And I already know I'm ok if Adam doesn't want to be involved in the baby's life. I'm taking my decision, and he could take his.

I'm already giggling at the thought of seeing a little mini Adam running around my legs.

I place a hand on my stomach and warmth radiates across my whole body. A tear escapes.

"It's just you and me baby, I love you already," I whisper.

___

Hey guys!

Are you rooting for Elle and Adam as much as I am?! Especially now that they're expecting!

How will Adam react? Keep reading to find out!

While you're here, I would SO appreciate it if you could vote and leave me a comment letting me know what you think!

Thank you so much!

M

XO