Chapter 18

After Adam makes sweet love to me, he gets up and makes us some coffee and breakfast. Gosh, I wish I could marry this man. Oh wait, I officially will! I giggle.

"What's so funny, love?" Adam raises his eyebrows in my direction.

"Nothing, I love you." I kiss his cheek and run my hand down his chiseled stomach, and I have to pull myself away when I start having naughty thoughts again.

It's Saturday, so we get to spend the day together and plan as best as we can for the next steps with the baby. That's our priority. The wedding and everything else can wait. But we've never done this before and we have no idea where to start.

"Adam, we need to tell our families. I didn't really want to tell my mom yet, but I need her support. And frankly, I just want to tell the whole world, at the top of my lungs, so..." I grin, and he nods.

"I know, I feel the same way. We can talk to our families tomorrow, if you're okay with that? And we'll just wait until Monday to make an appointment with a doctor. Sound good?" He smiles, reassuringly.

"Sounds perfect!" I take his hand and sit on his lap, on the couch.

"I want us to get a house together. Now, I thought about just surprising you with a house, but, seeing as you're going to live there for quite a while, it just doesn't seem right. We need to do this together." His soft eyes send calming waves through to my core, and I know I can handle anything life throws at us, so long as I'm by his side. Gosh, how did I live without him for so long?

"Let me make a list of things we need to do!" I jump up, and grab a pad on the side table. He rolls his eyes.

"I see you haven't changed." He chuckles, I smile in turn.

"Nope, and you love it!" My grin gets wider.

"Actually, I do, I really do." He says softly.

After I compile a list of all the things we have to do in the following months, one being plan a wedding, another being have a baby, and a third being move to a new house, I start having a mild panic attack.

"Calm down love, we'll get a wedding planner so you won't have to do too much, and we'll take it one step at a time for the baby. As for the house, we'll get a realtor and we'll be very selective about the houses we visit so we don't waste our time." Deep breath in, exhale out. Okay, we can do this.

"I want to get married quickly Adam. I've been waiting for this my whole life, and I don't want to wait anymore. I also don't want to be huge at my wedding, and we won't have time once the baby comes." I sigh.

"Elle, I know how much you love weddings and the whole shenanigans. I don't want you to look back and regret rushing this. If it were up to me, we'd go to city hall today and I could call you Mrs. Taylor officially before the end of the day. But I want this to be perfect for you." I stare at him, wonder and love in my eyes. How could I be so stupid to let this man go, and how could I be so lucky to have him back now. I suddenly feel the urge to take him up on his offer and marry him today. It's as if I'm afraid he's going to slip from my grasp again. It doesn't matter the what, who, when, where anymore, I simply want us to make a promise to each other: that we will be together forever, that I can be his and he can be mine, officially. I want nothing more than to call him my husband, and to be his wife. Just the thought of it has me feeling weak in the knees.

"Adam. Let's do it. Today. Let's get married." His eyes sparkle suddenly, and his whole face lifts.

"Elle, it's Saturday, I don't even think we can—"

"Then we'll elope, or we'll ask someone to take those classes on the web so they can marry us." I start thinking about different options in my head.

Adam then takes my hands in his and forces me to look at him. "Love, I would want nothing more, I assure you. But I'm still going to be here tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that, I promise. There's no need to rush this. I understand what you were saying earlier, and we can probably make it happen in a couple months with a bit of help, but, let us plan this. A real wedding, like you've always dreamed of. I'll pledge my love to you in front of all of our family and friends, and that way, it'll help spread the word quicker that you're off of the market, never to return again." I laugh and slap his shoulder. But he's right, damn it. How is he so calm and collected while I'm so scatterbrained and emotional.

"Okay, we'll do it." I simply says. He kisses me, and I can't help but bite down on his bottom lip. His breath falters and he grunts.

I just can't keep my hands off of this godsent man.

____

I take a deep breath, and open the door to my parents' house. "Hey mom, hey dad!" I shout as I walk through the door, Adam in tow.

We make our way to the yard where they're sunbathing. Adam never parts his intertwined fingers from mine.

"Oh, hey sweetheart, it's nice to see you." My mom says as she opens her eyes slowly. "Adam? Adam! It's so nice to see you again!" Her smile widens and her eyes dart to me, throwing me a knowing look. Great, she seems happy about the first piece of news I have to give them.

"Hey Adam, how are you? Nice to see you." My dad gets up and shakes his hand.

It's as if we were never separated. I feel a giggle bubbling up my throat. This doesn't phase them in the slightest. Maybe this is going to be easier than I thought. I know my parents are the live and let live type, but, not even a little bit of surprise? Is their reaction so tame because they've always known we were meant to be together? Is it because they don't care about my love life?

"It was about damn time you two got back together!" My mom squeals, and I get my answer. "Rick was no good for you honey. Adam, here on the other hand...well, just don't let him get away this time." She pats his shoulder and I open my mouth to speak.

But Adam beats me to it. "Don't worry Helen, I will never let her out of my sight again. And that's a promise." He looks at me, and it's as if the whole world disappears when he does. There's only him, only me, and the love I can feel in every inch of my bones.

"Mom, dad. Could you guys come inside, we were actually here because we wanted to talk to you." I hesitate, but my mom opens her mouth.

"You're pregnant?!" My face freezes and I turn to look at Adam. He's just as shocked as I am. Then, I look over at my dad, but he just stares back, looking at me expectantly.

"W-what?" I frown at my mother.

"Well? Are you?" She seems impatient for a yes or no answer, as if she's asking me if I want sugar in my coffee.

I glance up at Adam again, not knowing what to do. But he's smiling widely, and gives me a slight nod of encouragement.

"Yes, I'm pregnant." And since nothing seems to phase them, I add, "and we're getting married in the next couple of months."

"Oh my goodness Elle, that is wonderful. I'm going to be a grandma! Thank goodness you guys came to your senses. I love you both so much." She starts crying when she pulls us into her arms, and I feel a tear of relief escape the corner of my eye. I laugh wholeheartedly and shake my head.

"Unbelievable. How did you know, mom?"

"You see him at his sister's wedding. A few weeks later, you're back together. You seem like you might combust from nervousness right now. Plus, your cheeks are a little flush, and your boobs—"

"Alright mom, I get the picture." I roll my eyes. My dad looks a little teary-eyed when he comes over for a congratulatory hug.

"I'm so happy for you, sweetheart." He mutters, trying to hold back the shakiness in his voice. He shakes Adam's hand, and gives him a fatherly pat on the shoulder. "You guys are going to be great parents."

I feel Adam squeeze my hand and pull me closer to him. I blow out a sigh of relief and instinctively raise my hand to my stomach lovingly.

I never thought I could feel so happy.

We stay over for dinner and my parents both happily spend the whole time telling us what to do and what not to do. We don't even get a chance to utter a word, but this is still really nice. I need them to support me with this, and watching them so excited threatens to bring tears back to my eyes.