Chapter 24

Although the wedding ceremony was pretty dull, and over quite quickly, the moment Adam and I had said our vows was everything. It wasn't anything complicated, we just vowed to love each other, never leave each other, and be what the other needed us to be at every step our of journey together. It was all that needed to be said. We didn't have rings, so it really was just about the symbolism, and the promise we wanted to make to each other.

We had all shed a few tears, including Suzie, and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect moment to wed this man that I love more than life itself.

A few weeks had passed and things were getting back to normal. Well, as normal as they could be with a new house and a baby on the way. We were preparing as best we could, and my parents were there every step of the way for that extra support we needed. Adam and I were stronger than ever, and we made one hell of a team. I relied on him just as much as he did on me, and we were so happy I could burst.

I'm standing in front of a beautiful gown in a bridal salon. Suzie is holding my hand, in awe at the dress in front of us that was way too flashy for me.

"Just try it on." She pleads.

"Alright, just for you." I roll my eyes. The gown is really beautiful, but my baby bump is starting to show a little, and I just don't want to be that over the top bride.

But as I'm looking at myself in the mirror, I realize that this is my gown. There is no need to even try another. This is it. I can feel it. I start to tear up as the consultant finishes zipping it up. She smiles knowingly, and I walk out to show Suzie.

"Oh. My. God. This is it. This is the gown. It's perfect. Tell me you love it." Her jaw is open and I can tell she's being perfectly honest.

I just nod, and as she looks into my eyes, she knows. She hugs me with a high pitched squeal, and I hear Tam making her way towards us. "Hey, Elle, I found this dress over there, and I—Oh my god. Shut the front door. That dress!" She throws the dress she was holding in her hands onto the couch, and continues, "Forget I said anything, this is the one, isn't is?"

I smile and nod, and just like that, I'm officially ready to marry Adam. Again.

___

The wedding day finally arrives, and although I was worried I wouldn't fit into the dress, it slides on like a glove. People often say they have jitters, or cold feet, on their wedding day, but I feel completely calm, and at peace. I put a hand on my stomach as I wait for my cue, and whisper, "Let's do it, baby."

I walk out, and everything falls into place. We chose an outdoor venue, and though the setting is beautiful, my eyes settle on one thing, or one person, only.

There he is, standing tall in a crisp suit, his hair a little disheveled, just how I like it. And his eyes. My god, that man's eyes; they see through me without even trying. And right now, his bright green eyes shine as he oggles me and mouthes the words, "You're beautiful."

I make my way up to him, and he takes my hand. This is the best day of my life, and as we stare into each other's eyes, a thousand words are communicated without saying one.

The ceremony is wonderful, but it doesn't last long; I barely blinked, and it was over. It isn't long before we're taken into the reception area to properly greet our guests.

As we thank each guest for coming, I spot a woman in a light grey dress approaching, and I freeze.

Adam's parents are here. And we didn't invite them. I squeeze his hand, and as he looks up, he follows my gaze.

"Excuse us," he says to the guests that we're with.

He tows me by the hand, and we make our way towards them.

"What are you doing here?" Adam asks in a calm voice, his eyes darting around to make sure the other guests aren't within earshot.

Danielle waves her hands in front of her, and forces a smile. "We're not here to cause any trouble," she says. "We just want to be part of our son's special day." Adam frowns.

Danielle turns towards me, and I hold my breath. "Elle. I want to apologize for the things I said, and the way I treated you. I should have welcomed you back into the family instead. If you'll have us, we'd love to make amends, and be part of this day. And, of course, our grandchild's life." She takes a deep breath, and I can see the worry in her eyes. I can tell she's being honest, and she's genuinely afraid that we'll react badly. A few feet away, I can see Suzie smiling at me, but she doesn't seem surprised to see them. I'm guessing she might have had something to do with this.

"Danielle, Rob, enjoy the reception, and thanks for coming. I'll make sure you're invited to the baby shower, and our little munchkin will be lucky to have you as their grandparents." I'm not ready to forgive her yet, but I won't deny her the chance of being in my baby's life. Or Adam's.

She just nods on a loud exhale, smiles, and walks into the reception area. I look up at Adam, who just gives me a grateful smile. I'm happy that peace was finally possible, and that Adam can have his whole family be part of this special day.