Chapter 20

It's been about a month since we've told our families about the pregnancy. And the wedding.

The wedding planning had gone really well up to date, and I was so grateful for Jenny, our planner. She really was something else, and not only had she secured a beautiful venue, but she'd also gone above and beyond in making sure everything was as perfect as if we'd had a year to plan it.

Everything was almost set, I just needed to pick my gown, and pick a cake.

Adam's parents hadn't come around yet, but Suzie, who had been supportive since the start, told us she was doing her best to get them used to the idea. This was happening whether they were on board or not, so if they wanted to be involved in the life of their grandchild, and be there for the most important step of their sons life, they had to get over themselves. Her words, not mine.

Adam had been trying hard to hide the fact that he was hurting from not having his parents' support. I don't think it's because he didn't want to open up to me, I rather think it was him trying to keep me away from anything that would worry me. He had been watching me like a hawk, trying to make my life as easy as possible and doing everything he could to help me every chance he got. It was endearing, but I had to keep reminding him that I was pregnant, not injured.

I'd even tried to push the envelope for a day, to show him how ridiculous he was being. I'd asked him to fetch some milk at the store, which he did immediately. Then, I'd complained I wanted whole milk, not 1%. He'd gone straight back to the store and gotten some whole milk. I'd also asked if he could help me paint my toenails, wash my car, and cook my dinner. He'd done it all with not a single complaint.

After he'd finished cleaning the dishes, I'd asked if he could braid my hair and he laughed. "Yeah, I would love to." He started brushing my hair with his hands to get the tangles out. "I know what you're doing, you know." I'd rolled my eyes. Of course he knew, it was pretty obvious. "But I don't care. If you want me to prove to you all over again tomorrow that I will do anything you need while you're carrying my child, and probably even after, then I will. I just wished you'd stop protesting. Let me take care of you, Elle."

"Adam, I love you. What you're doing is really sweet, and I truly appreciate it. I'll do my best to let you pamper me, however foreign that is to me, but I'm just asking you to take it down a notch. I want to feel like I'm my own person and that I'm still capable of being independent, okay? It makes me feel a little weak when you won't even let me lift a grocery bag. Things need to feel normal for me. And for the love of god, let me cook; you know I love to cook. At least, for the time being, while I'm still able to stand on my feet for an extended period of time."

"You're right, I'm sorry, I didn't think of it that way." He tucked a stand of my hair behind my ear.

"Don't apologize, please. I know you're just trying to help. I really want to slap you silly and give you a medal of honour at the same time. These hormones are not my friend." I snickered.

"I love you," he'd finally said, with a sly smile. And that was the end of that conversation.

Now, here he was, looking at his phone with a sad look on his face.

"Adam, I want to be here for you, please, tell me how you're feeling. I know this has been hard for you, not having your parents' support. I know I would be really upset if my parents had reacted badly." I try to make my voice sound soft, so that I can coax him into opening up to me.

I'm snuggled into him but we're facing each other. I feel him take a deep breath, and he answers in a low voice. "Yeah, it's been hard, I won't lie. But in the end, I'm happy, I've never been happier, and if they can't be happy for me, then I don't think I deserve to torture myself over it. I need to let them be, and if they come around, then great. But if they don't, that's their choice and I can't let it affect me."

Wow, that's quite the mature response. I don't know if he really means it, but it's the best attitude he can adopt given the situation.

"I just wish I could do something, anything, to make it all go away. I hate seeing you suffer, especially when you try to hide it." I squeeze his forearm and he pulls me even closer.

"I know. But you've already made me the happiest man alive, I can't imagine you doing anything more." He kisses my hair and takes a deep inhale.

I tilt my head so I can kiss him. I try to convey everything I feel in that kiss, but I don't think it's possible to encapsulate my feelings. Even if I had an eternity, I don't think I could make him understand how much I love him.

"We should get some rest, love. We have a big day tomorrow."

Indeed we do. Tomorrow morning at 6 AM, the moving crew will be here to pack my whole apartment up and move it into the new house. Adam's stuff is practically all here already, and whatever he hadn't moved to my apartment would be moved tomorrow afternoon. I wasn't the tiniest bit sad about leaving this apartment, especially considering the amazing new home we'd just bought.

The first time I'd visited it, I'd had to pick my jaw off of the floor. I'd seen pictures of the place, but it was nothing compared to seeing it in real life. It was a mini mansion on quite a big piece of land, considering it was in a quaint little suburb that was a perfect place to raise a family. The house itself had two stories and a good amount of open-concept rooms that made it feel even more spacious than it was. The modern architecture mixed with a few touches of farmhouse chic made me marvel at every detail of the house. I could see myself making it my family home.

I'd walked through the house alone when Adam was discussing details with the realtor, and I could just see our kids running around and playing with their friends in the living room. I could see our little love nest in the master bedroom. And the great big pool in the back would be perfect for warm summer days with our families over for an afternoon barbecue. This house gave me hope that everything would work out, and that Adam would get his relationship with his parents back.

"What do you think?" Adam had said, creeping up on me from behind and making me jump. I'd turned my gaze back towards the pool.

"This is our home Adam. This is it." I half-whispered.

"Good, 'cause I've already made an offer, and the realtor is confident the owner will accept." He said. I spun around, a smile was playing on his lips. "I saw your eyes shooting stars as soon as we walked in Elle. I knew this was our home the minute I saw the look on your face."

Tears welled up in my eyes. Even when I thought I couldn't be happier, he seemed to be able to surprise me with more joy. I'd jumped into his arms and squealed.

Now, tomorrow, we'd finally be moving into our new home, where we'd start making new memories that would last forever.