Chapter 19

I walk into the apartment, and slump down on the couch. The past few days were emotionally overwhelming and I feel exhausted.

Telling Tam about my pregnancy and engagement went as expected. A lot of squeals and laughter, and I couldn't be more happier even if a genie appeared in front of me, granting me three wishes. I have everything I've ever wanted, and I feel so lucky.

I hear the door unlock, and Adam walks in. I smile, having missed him in the few hours we were apart. He'd gone to his parents place to tell them about everything. He'd insisted on going alone, claiming that if it didn't go well he didn't want me to be in the crossfires. I'd tried to reassure him and tell him it would be fine, and even if it didn't, that I wanted to be there for him. However after some back and forth, I had let it go and he'd gone alone.

I frown when he looks up with a small smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"What happened? Did it go okay?" My frown gets deeper when there's a moment of silence.

"So so." He answers, placing his keys on the kitchen table before joining me on the couch.

I take his face in my hands, caressing his cheek. "Tell me what happened Adam." I ask, softly. He lowers his head.

"Well, I started by telling them about us seeing each other at the wedding and getting back together, which was the smallest piece of news I had to give them. I thought it would be easing them into it, but their faces didn't look too thrilled. They started asking me questions, asking if I was sure it was the right thing, that we parted ways for a reason, that you had left me, that I was just going to get hurt again...I stopped them at some point, and told them that you were the love of my life and that I had already asked you to marry me." His gaze lifts to mine; his eyes are shimmering with a sort of determination. "They were speechless for a few minutes, and before I had the chance to talk myself out of telling them that on top of it all, they were going to be grandparents, I blurted out that you were also pregnant with my child." His eyes drift back down, and I lift his chin so that he's looking at me.

"I take it that made things escalate." I tilt my head and wince.

"Actually, they didn't say anything. Their faces were frozen. They looked at each other for what seemed like a lifetime, and they just didn't say anything. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore so I got up and left." His eyes water, but he blinks away the tears that were forming.

"I'm so sorry, Adam." I want to cry and punch something at the same time. Seeing him hurt like this brings back memories of when I'd left him, and I promised myself I would never do anything to hurt him ever again. Because it tears me apart to see him suffer. This, however, is completely out of my control, and I just wish I would have insisted on going. Maybe they wouldn't have been so hard on him if I would have been there. At least I would have been able to better support him. I feel horrible.

"I love you," I whisper.

"I love you too Elle, so much." He leans into my touch and closes his eyes for a few seconds. When they reopen, his features seem a little more relaxed. He gives me a more genuine smile, and speaks in a sweet tone. "Nothing matters as much as having you, being with you, and your health and happiness. The rest comes in second." He looks down at my stomach. "Well, for the next few months, at least. After that, you'll unfortunately have to live with coming in second." His eyes are playful and we both laugh.

My heart squeezes so hard I stop breathing for a beat. I love Adam more than life itself, but I already knew that my baby would come first in every aspect of my life the moment I found out I was pregnant.

"Wanna look at the listings the realtor sent us?" His smile grows, and I know in that moment that I would do anything in the world for this man.

"Yeah, I'd really love to." I say, throwing my legs on top of his and grabbing the laptop on the side table.

After an hour, we find a house that we both really love; it's located in a great neighbourhood, and has a grocery store and a pharmacy within walking distance. It's way over my price range, but Adam told me not to worry about it so many times I'd finally stopped arguing.

We call the realtor and set up a visit for tomorrow at noon, and a jolt of excitement runs through me. I can't wait to see the house I'll possibly raise my child in.

"Now that that's done, how about setting a date for the wedding, and finding a planner?" I grin. How could I ever let this man go?

"Actually, I already found a planner. Well, Tam did. She said she was like a fairy godmother, that even if we thought our plans were impossible, she always manage to make miracles happen. I'll give her a call tomorrow and if she's available, we'll start planning right away. For the date, I was thinking of going with August 30th. It's the day you kissed me for the first time, remember? It's only a couple months away, and, it's a Saturday."

He smiles and kisses my lips lightly. "There couldn't be a more perfect date." He whispers against my lips, causing me to shiver.

He deepens the kiss then, and fire spreads through my body. I whimper and he growls in response. He picks me up and crosses to the bedroom, laying me down before joining me. I push him over so I'm on top of him. I kiss my way down his body, removing his shirt as I go, and we make sweet love until we're both basking in total bliss.