2. Henry Knight

Not long afterwards, a recording of a documentary is playing on the TV. Sherlock has taken off the dressing gown and exchanged it for a jacket and is sitting in his chair. John and Elisabeth have relocated to the dining table chairs near Sherlock's, and a man is sitting in John's chair. The documentary footage shows scenes of Dartmoor. Sherlock instantly looks bored.

"Dartmoor. It's always been a place of myth and legend, but is there something else lurking out here – something very real? Because Dartmoor's also home to one of the government's most secret of operations ..." Says The Presenter.

Sherlock's eyes flick repeatedly between the screen and the man in John's chair as the footage shows a large sign saying:

AUTHORISED PERSONNEL ONLY
YOU ARE NOW ENTERING A RESTRICTED AREA
BASKERVILLE

By this time Sherlock's eyes are permanently fixed on the newcomer, who we now see is Henry Knight. Henry is watching the documentary with an anxious look on his face.

"... the chemical and biological weapons research centre which is said to be even more sensitive than Porton Down. Since the end of the Second World War, there've been persistent stories about the Baskerville experiments: genetic mutations, animals grown for the battlefield. There are many who believe that within this compound, in the heart of this ancient wilderness, there are horrors beyond imagining. But the real question is: are all of them still inside?"

The footage switches to an indoor scene where Henry is sitting in front of the camera talking to an offscreen interviewer. A caption at the bottom of the screen shows him as "Henry Knight, Grimpen resident".

"I was just a kid. It-it was on the moor." He says.

There's a cut-away to a child's drawing of a huge snarling dog with red eyes. The caption says, "Henry's drawing (aged 9)".

"It was dark, but I know what I saw. I know what killed my father." He Says.

Sighing, Sherlock picks up the remote control and switches off the footage.

"What did you see?" Asks Sherlock.

"Oh. I—I was just about to say." Says Henry, pointing to the TV.

"Yes, in a TV interview. I prefer to do my own editing."

"Yes. Sorry, yes, of course. 'Scuse me."

He reaches into his jacket pocket, pulls out a paper napkin and wipes his nose on it.

"In your own time." Says John.

"But quite quickly." Completes Elisabeth.

Henry lowers the napkin.

"Do you know Dartmoor, Mr Holmes?" Asks Henry.

"No." Answers Sherlock.

"It's an amazing place. It's like nowhere else. It's sort of ... bleak but beautiful."

"Mmm, not interested. Moving on."

"We used to go for walks, after my mum died, my dad and me. Every evening we'd go out onto the moor."

"Yes, good. Skipping to the night that your dad was violently killed. Where did that happen?"

John's eyes raise skywards at Sherlock's insensitive attitude.

"There's a place – it's... it's a sort of local landmark called Dewer's Hollow."

He gazes at Sherlock who tilts his head at him.

"That's an ancient name for the Devil."

"So?" Asks Sherlock.

"Did you see the Devil that night?" Asks Elisabeth.