Chapter 1

Olivia entered the squad room feeling depressed, it was her mother's 10-year anniversary and she was stuck doing paperwork. "Liv you can go I'll cover for you" Elliot said and Olivia smiled

"Thanks El" she said quietly. She made her way to her mother's grave in the silence, the only sound was of birds singing in the trees. Such a happy and beautiful day which contradicted Olivia's feelings. She laid flowers over her mother's grave and sat there in the silence. She heard a rustling sound and turned to face Elliot. "I thought I'd find you here" he said quietly as she sighed. "This was delivered to the squad for you" he said handing her an envelope. He got up and left her to it, she slowly opened it and began to read.

To my daughter Olivia
I hope you can see it in your heart to forgive me. I know that if you're reading this that I have died and it's my 10th anniversary, I told my lawyer to wait that long because I didn't want you to ignore this out of anger. I hope you will never have to read this but if you do then I want you to know some things. You may have found this out already but I was raped and that's why I was such a terrible mother, I just couldn't face you. I hope you're successful in whatever it is you do and that you have a happy life with kids, a family and someone who keeps you safe. I hope I will stay in your heart but I want you to go on with your life. Please don't search for your father I don't want you to get hurt.
Your loving mother
Serena.

Olivia felt herself tearing up a little she placed the letter back in the envelope and found a key, it was rather odd, Serena's initials were engraved on it and it seemed old. Olivia wondered if there was more to her mother than she thought.