Chapter 5

Dedicated to BobbyWitney3 for adding my story to their library and reading list. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

(edited)
~~~

Charlotte couldn't help but to think about Margaret, trying to figure her out. From what she saw at lunch, Margaret didn't seem like a shy pushover and she was clearly kind. So, why was she sitting alone?

"Hey, Carter," a girl called from behind her. Charlotte turned around even if it wasn't her name. The girl behind raced past to hug another girl. Supposedly 'Carter'.

"Mall after school today?"

"Sure," Carter responded.

"Okay, why don't we invite Margaret? I haven't seen her in ages."

"Um, she's super busy after school today."

Charlotte decided to stop being nosy and to carry on to the cafeteria.

"Hey, we are walking home together, right," Charlotte asked.

"Yeah, of course. I have nowhere to be," Margaret responded. "Why?"

"Oh, some girl was gonna ask you to go to the mall, but the other, someone named Carter, said you were super busy after school."

Margaret's eyes went wide. She pointed at the table diagonal to theirs.

"One of those girls?"

"Ya."

"Oh, well one of them were misinformed, but that's okay," Margaret responded calmly.

They continued talking about random things and Charlotte came to find that Margaret was really a history geek when it came to this little town.

In the middle of an in-depth description of Calvin Marni running the Natives out of the town, a guy that Charlotte hasn't met came up to the table.

Margaret shifted as Mikel came closer. She was worried he was going to try and pressure into a night out with "the guys". She knew he would never let anything happen to her. Back in 6th grade, a whole bunch of guys chased her home, and when she told him... safe to say that no one messed with her for the rest of middle school.

"Hi," he nodded towards Charlotte and turned his attention to Margaret. "Margaret, a whole bunch of us are gonna be going out to Sammies Beach on Saturday. Probably will spend the night there too. Um, you can come, both of you," he added while looking at Charlotte. "It's really just a senior year thing. Get in as many parties as possible before we yeet out of this bitch."

"Um, I don't really think-" Margaret started.

"We'll be there," Charlotte finished for her.

Margaret shot her a look as if she had lost her damn mind. "Okay. Text me the details then," Margaret said slowly.

"Okay," Michael said. He shot them a smile and left.

Margaret turned towards Charlotte.

"What the actual fuck!"

Charlotte held her hands up. "You seem so uptight. You look like you could use a day out by the beach. Plus, who wouldn't wanna spend more time with this," she motioned towards herself.

"Fine," she said giving in. "Do you wanna drive, or is it gonna be me?"

"Oooh, I'll drive," Charlotte almost shouted as the bell rang.

"I guess I'll see you later. Same place," Margaret asked.

"Yup."

"Okay."

Margaret's day was now clouded by the fact that Carter has been lying to her friends. Margaret mentally accused her for going to such drastic lengths to avoid, but quickly corrected herself when she realized she was guilty of the same crime.

Should she confront her? No, Margaret settled on. At some point, when she gets her life back together, they can talk.

The rest of the week passed quickly. Mikel sent Margaret the details for Saturday. Charlotte had missed a day of school and Margaret ate lunch alone. She made Charlotte swear to never miss school again.