Chapter 11- Zenas is back

Sorry this took so long! And that the chapter is really short, but ah writer's block takes it toll. I hope I can update in a better time and better length next time.

The day the speech was due was getting rapidly closer, and a whole bunch of nerves piled up in Amanda's stomach. What she was talking about in her speech scared her. What would the other kids think? Maybe she should of just written about something as simple as spiders. But it was too late for that.

Zenas finally came back to school and he actually gave her a small smile when he saw her in the halls. Did he think of her as a friend? She hoped so. “Big Mac stop taking up all the hall space!” Some kid roughly pushed her aside. Amanda fought back the tears, just because it happened all the time it didn't mean it didn't bother her.

She walked in Mrs. Christansen's room, feeling nervous. Even though the speech wasn't due yet, being in that class reminded her of what her speech would be. It was short, nothing special really. But it was kind of personal. “Are you all ready for this speech?” Mrs. Christansen boomed when the bell finally rang and all students were seated.

There was a few groans in reply, but it didn't faze her. “I just want to say, I want your speech to be meaningful. I don't want something stupid like 'I’m afraid of bugs' unless that really is your biggest fear. I want you to go in depth so I can understand and fear it myself.”

“What I’m getting at is I want to feel your fear. So make this good.” The class stared at her like a loony. She clapped her hands together. “So! About that homework...”

The class seemed to drag by for a long time, Amanda kept her eyes on the clock. She watched as the minute hand slowly moved closer to the time class would be over. “Ms. Macky?” Mrs. Christansen said looking concerned. Amanda got out of her stupor and realized people were already leaving.

The bell rang and she didn't realize it. “Oh sorry Mrs. Christansen.” Amanda said feeling stupid and she quickly got up.

“Its fine.” Mrs. Christansen smiled. “You ready for your speech?”

Amanda shrugged. “I don't really like the topic for this one.” She said truthfully. Amanda pushed in her chair. “Bye.”

Amanda couldn't fight back her smile when she saw Zenas already sitting at their small lunch table. “Hey.” She said putting her bag down.

Zenas looked up from his book. “Hi Amanda.” He said. He looked at Amanda for a few seconds. “Aren't you going to eat lunch?” He asked.

Amanda took out her homework. “No.” She said. “I'm not really hungry.” However, watching Zenas eating his noodles his mom made him made her very hungry.

She wasn't going to tell him the real reason why she decided not to eat. He may get the wrong idea.