day 4- rainbow

Lance knew two things. 1, it was pouring rain. 2, he and Keith were completely, utterly lost. He squinted through the rain, which battered his Paladin armor and made his vision blurry.

The planet they were stranded on was a wasteland of rubble and trash, a dumpster to a nearby planet. The Castle of Lions had crash landed there after a particularly rough battle with a Galra fleet and Coran had sent Keith and Lance out to salvage for materials they needed to repair the ship.

However, after only minutes of searching, a thunderstorm had shaken the atmosphere, obscuring the Paladin's vision to only a few feet ahead of them. As they picked their way through the rubble, Lance felt anger bubble in his chest, rumbling like the thunder in the pale green sky above.

"Keith, This is useless. We're not going to be able to find anything out here." Lance's eyes were glued to the red of Keith's armor, a bit paranoid of getting lost if he looked away for even a moment.

Keith sighed through the intercom, "We've gotta find the plutonium Coran needs, for the eighteenth time." There was a bright flash and a crack as a shard of lightning hit a pile of rubble in the distance. Lance winced.

"Shouldn't we wait out the storm?" He asked nervously. "I don't want everyone to worry."

"By 'everyone', do you mean Allura?"

Lance stopped short. "What?" Keith halted too but didn't turn.

"I said-"

"I know what you said. What the hell is it supposed to mean?" Keith looked up at the stormy sky, not responding. "What's your problem with Allura?"

The lightning cracked overhead and the rain and pounded down harder and harder, a drumming beat that matched the tempo of Lance's heart. He stepped forward towards Keith. "I know you're supposed to be some moody macho man but god, Keith, what is your problem?" The sky seemed to threaten the two Paladins with a magnificent roll of thunder.

Lance suddenly came to a realization. Without thinking, he blurted, "Do you like Allura?" The lightning seemed to go livid at the accusation.

Keith finally turned, his face a picture of an emotion Lance had never seen him wear before. "No, you moron, I like you."

Lance froze. His angry breath paused in his lungs. His balled fists hesitated. His words sank back away from his lips and tongue. It was if time itself had stopped, waiting for his response.

In those seconds, those minutes, those hours it seemed, Lance was able to distinguish the the emotion on Keith's face. It was a rueful relent, a melancholy surrender. In those moments, Lance didn't understand his own emotions, his heart, his head.

It was if the whole world had turned inside out and upside down and everyone else had been ready except him.

Keith seemed to realize what he'd said, but regret did not consume his expression. Instead, he lifted his head, eyes rising to a point just above Lance's head. He let out a soft "Ha." Lance turned.

It wasn't raining anymore.

Instead, the suns (both of them- there were two) had broken through the sky, casting it a pretty pale yellow, pastel and calm as the clouds receded. And, arching across the domed heavens was the biggest, brightest rainbow Lance had ever seen. His eyebrows rose on their own accord. Are you kidding me?

Keith stepped forward to stand beside Lance and he smiled up at the rainbow. "I know it's hard to digest, believe me, it was hard for me too, but I hope you won't treat me any differently."

Lance looked over at Keith and was surprised to find himself blushing.

...

hi yes I know I said I was on a hiatus but I felt really bad for not updating this and I had a lot of time in the hospital and in the car so I decided to just post it,, updates on amd and outliers probably won't be on schedule until my sister gets better but the least I can do is keep this constant,,