day 22- acceptance

(5 years in the future of last chap.)

Lance walked through the endless halls of the Altean palace, stalling, procrastinating, worrying and worrying. Keith was waiting for him in their room- it was late and both of them were tired from their excursions today- but there was something Lance needed to do first. 

He'd been dating Keith, Prince of the Galran planet Daibazaal, for 5 years. They'd never publicized it, never announced it, but the people they were closest to, like their friends and family, obviously knew. 

Lance's father, who'd reluctantly agreed to the relationship as long as Lance continued his duties as a Prince, had never truly accepted the fact that his son was bisexual. It wasn't his fault- he came from a military family whose values included marrying women (and strictly women) to pass on the lineage. 

King Alfor had always endorsed Lance and Allura marrying for love, but he'd always subtly expected that those marriages would be to that of the opposite gender. Lance had different plans, though. 

He loved his father. He loved his people. But he loved Keith, too, more than anything, and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with him. Keith was different from him in so many ways, so much it seemed futile to have a relationship sometimes, but they fit together perfectly. 

Lance loved Keith's determination and leadership, how he always knew what to do, even if it wasn't planned out, how he put everything he had into helping his planet, how much he cared even when he didn't show it. 

And the little things, too. The way Keith traced circles on Lance's skin when they laid beside each other, the way his dark hair fell in front of his eyes, the way his lips felt on Lance's. He was the first person Lance had come out to, he was the one who made Lance realize that it was okay to break from tradition. He was Lance's everything. 

Lance steeled himself as he turned down the main hallway that led to the Throne Room, where he knew his father was working. He'd already told his mother, who'd been completely understanding and supportive of his decision, and, if his father agreed, he'd then go to Daibazaal and ask for the blessing of King Zarkon and Queen Honerva. He was quite confident with the Royal family of Daibazaal- they loved him already, treating him like he was their own son. 

But first, he had to face his father. 

Lance found himself standing in front of the door to the Throne Room, fist poised above the heavy wood, ready to knock. Deep breath in, 2, 3, 4, hold, 2, 3, 4, and out, 2, 3, 4, hold, 2, 3, 4. Lance knocked on the door. 

After a moment, his father's voice, "Come in!"

Lance stepped inside the room. It was a large, circular room with a high ceiling and sloping walls, allowing incredible acoustics that bounced around the room and threw your own voice back at you. It was the perfect architecture to make you feel important. King Alfor had designed the room himself so that his subjects, when approaching him for advice and council, would feel like they were being seen and heard on a level equal to the king. 

Alfor himself sat on a large, gorgeous throne carved from sleek, white marble in the center of the room, surrounded by tables that were covered in papers and maps and so on and so forth. He looked focused, busy, completely attuned to his work. 

"Hello, father," Lance said, his voice carrying around the room, the waves bouncing off the curved walls. 

Alfor looked up from his work, taking off his glasses. "Ah, Lance. Come in, come in."

Lance stepped forward, into the room, the sound of his footsteps echoing loudly. He approached his father nervously, who stood, stretched, and then sat again, rubbing his eyes. Alfor glanced at the grandfather clock that chimed lightly in the corner. "It's late, son. What are you doing up? You must be tired." 

"I've had a lot on my mind," Lance replied truthfully. 

"Grogery for your thoughts?" (hahaha see what i did there?) King Alfor asked, leaning forward. 

Lance let out a strained laugh, looking away. "Look, Dad." He almost never called King Alfor 'Dad', it was always 'Father' or 'Sir'. 'Dad' meant it was something serious, that he was vulnerable. Alfor noticed this. 

"I've been thinking a lot about the future."

"That's good, son. It's important to have a plan."

"I've been thinking about the future of the country and the future of the royal family here on Altea."

Alfor's eyes narrowed, but not with hostility, more of from curiosity. "Yes?"

"Allura will be taking the throne when you retire. She'll be a great queen, I'm not worried about that. And you know how she feels about Lotor, I'm sure they'll be wonderful leaders that unite Daibazaal and Altea further. I'm sure that they'll have children who can carry on the royal lineage, just as tradition mandates."

Alfor nodded. Lance wondered if he knew where the conversation was going. 

"I'm saying this because my heart is telling me that I belong with someone who wouldn't be able to provide the planet with heirs. And someone who probably isn't anywhere near your first choice in terms of marriage."

Lance took a deep, steadying breath. He met Alfor's eyes. "I love Keith, dad. I've loved him for years and I think I'll love him until the day I die. I want to spend the rest of my life with him. Dad, I'm asking if you'll bless our marriage."

Alfor sat back in his throne, a huge range of emotions flitting across his face. He closed his eyes and sighed deeply. Both of them were silent for a few moments. Lance waited. 

Alfor opened his eyes and stood, stepping down of the dais and standing before Lance. He slowly lifted his hands and rested them on Lance's shoulders. Their eyes met and a small, hopeful smile lifted the edges of Alfor's lips. 

"I want you to be happy, Lance. Above all else, I want you and your sister to be happy. And if Prince Keith is the one who makes you happy, then he is the one you should be with. I love you no matter what, remember that, Lance. Of course, I bless your marriage." 

(let me know if you want the next chapter, proposal, to be a continuation of this part as well)