day 28- best friend

https://twitter.com/gatorix1/status/1045431467671736320

You'd think that, being a vampire, having a werewolf for a best friend would be weird. And you'd probably be right. But it's not for me.

Sometimes, I envy Keith's pack life. It'd be fun to have people to hunt with, people who're as close to you as siblings, closer because you're motherfucking wolves and that's pretty cool. The leader of Keith's pack is Shiro, the alpha, and Keith is the Beta, followed by a bunch of other wolves who I don't know as well.

Sometimes, when I'm hunting, I hear their howls and shiver. It's an eerie sound, but comforting in a way. Shiro always starts, a low, grumbling growl of a howl, and then Keith joins in, high and almost mournful, and then the rest of the pack. I always pause when I hear them. I silently congratulate them- I get nervous when Keith comes to school hungry when the pack doesn't find any food.

I hunt alone. It's not like I'm lonely- I always come home to my family (whose probably too big for their own good) but I think it would be fun to have a companion once in a while when I hunted. I convinced Keith to come with me once, but he looked like he was about to be sick when I drank from a rat from an alleyway in front of him, so I didn't ask him again.

I tried to hunt as far away from the woods as possible, as I didn't want the pack to come upon a deer that I'd already drained (awkward). That meant, however, that I had to hunt in the city, which was hard work.

As I jumped from rooftop to rooftop, eyes and ears sharp and alert, searching for food, I wondered if Keith would ever allow me to come on a hunt with the pack. Living off rats made me feel gross and cheap, and it was rare to find anything larger than that in the city. Birds were out of the question, plus they were basically all feathers anyway, bats were just as hard to catch and I felt bad since we're supposed to be similar, and fish blood from the pond just tasted nasty. So, rats it was.

"I'd kill for a deer right now," I muttered under my breath as I dropped into an alley to investigate, then chuckled at my own joke.

Of course, there were always humans.

But they were out of the question too. Went against my morals. My vampire morals. God, that was pathetic- every other vampire in the city drank from humans (not enough to kill, obviously).

I guess I just had a thing about it.

...

I woke up and barely made it to the bathroom before puking the contents of my stomach in the toilet. Repeatedly.

Mom came into the bathroom quickly, standing over me helplessly, patting my back and getting me a glass of water. I flushed the toilet before she could see the blood in it (only rat blood- I knew because a few spiky black rodent hairs came up too).

She helped me back to bed, mumbling something in Spanish, commanding me to stay in bed, running downstairs to get the thermometer, getting me more water... freaking out when my fever was 103.5, barely listening as I convinced her why I didn't need a hospital.

After a few minutes of bickering, she finally gave in. "Stay in bed," she told me sharply, her eyes narrowed. I nodded. I didn't have plans to disobey her- I felt like shit.

My fever went down a few degrees, but remained above 100 for the next few days. When I wasn't sleeping, I was drinking water or sipping broth or feeling nauseous. Actually, I felt nauseous constantly. I cursed the fucking rat I'd eaten. It probably had a virus or something.

Normally, with a few pints of blood, I'd be good as new, but my family didn't know I was a vampire so they weren't about to bring me blood. In fact, the only two people who knew were Lotor, the man who'd changed me (and the dominant vampire in the city), and Keith, naturally. Lotor certainly wasn't about to bring me blood and Keith was busy with school an pack stuff.