Chapter Forty-Six: Seized Within

Flickering fire swirled within Emoriah's palms. It reached out its fiery tendrils towards Thale's manly figure, as if wanting to share a secret. A secret of death.

"This isn't you, dear Emoriah." Thale warned out, as Emoriah spilled another roiling flame from her fingertips.

How would he know? He truly didn't know her then.

"It isn't?"

Besides the sight of the scorching flames rising higher Thale merely stood still with a calm expression steeping from his face. "You would never hurt me, love."

Emoriah could sense the scalding heat at her fingers and the draining lost in her stomach. If she wasn't careful her mind would once again sink into a sailor's drunken stupor. And that would be bloody lovely sight indeed.

"Would I?"

"No." Thale stated confidently, before swiveling his bright eyes towards the floor. "Besides what would your mother think?"

What would her mother think?

Would she be filled with delight at the sight of her murderer dead?

Would she receive her daughter with open arms? Praising to the heavens that they were reunited once more.

Emoriah glanced down towards her mother's thin frame, before clenching her teeth tightly in pain.

No. She wouldn't. She will be utterly disappointed.

"Blast you, you pigeon-livered bastard." Emoriah hissed out, from her gritted jaw.

An amused chuckled was her only answer.

A rampaged battle of swords echoed around the marbled ball, as men fought to keep their blood from spilling. Though Emoriah was oblivious to it all, for her attention was solely on the lifeless frame in her dangly arms

Swoosh.

Grimy scarlet hair stuck to the woman's scalp, as Emoriah ran her trembling fingers through it.

Sshhluck.

Two dull green eyes gazed up at her. Lost to the world and its chaotic surroundings.

Thud!!

Emoriah flinched in surprise, as an extensive feathered wing fell into her lap.

What the.....

"Emoriah dear, who ..." A deep voice hollered, before a horrified gasp broke his words.

Emoriah snapped her neck behind her to spot the dismayed expression of her father, as he yanked his shining sword out from an Adar's feathery side.

The pristine cloak that had once sat majestic and golden across his shoulders now laid torn and blood splattered across his back, as he stumbled closer to them in a daze.

"H-how...wha..." Emoriah heard her father whisper, as he tumbled to his knees. A wave of anguish sounded from his lips, as he pulled the scarlet-haired woman into his arms. "My sweet Beth."

Memories than began to tumble their way into Emoriah's mind, as she watched her father rock her mother. Remembrances of life back on earth, where it had only been the two of them.

Mother and daughter against the world.

Emoriah could recall numerous movie nights filled with laughter and thrown popcorn, as they each guessed how the movie would end. Or the cold trips through the icy rain of London where they were in search of a hidden coffee house, to satisfy their chocolate hunger.