Chapter 1

The year of grace was 1842, and Rose Merryweather gazed eagerly out of the carriage window, as it passed through the English countryside. After the death of her father, Rose and her younger sister Maria were sent to live with their uncle in the village of Silverydew, Rose had never met her uncle and prayed he wouldn't be cruel. She imagined him a stern and monstrous man, staring gloomily down upon them, locking them in towers and dungeons surrounded by his evil pet alligators. Rose had a wild imagination from all the novels she read, it was unfortunately a bad habit at times, as she could make untruthful assumptions about people. Though the thought of her uncle was terrifyingly thrilling, she also hoped he wouldn't be as bad as what she imagined in fear of her life.

In the carriage there were three women, Rose must be described first as she is the heroine of this story. She had long curly blonde hair, which was put up, as Rose had recently turned 16 and it was now expected of a young woman. Her skin was fair and smooth, with rosy red lips. Rose wore a pale cream dress with lilac flowers embroiled onto the gown. She was quite a beauty. In her younger years, she had always been described as quite a plain child, but now as she was approaching womanhood, and she had blossomed into a beautiful lady. She was quite girly in a way just like her sister Maria, with her love for eccentric balls and glorious jewels and gowns, however she had a desire for adventure, which was looked down upon (probably caused by her love for reading) and she often found herself lost in her imagination. This would cause Miss Heliotrope to snap at her to pay attention or to stop wondering off.

Maria was sitting opposite Rose engrossed with some traditional French needlepoint. She appeared to be sewing a daffodil, which Rose was sure would be quite exquisite once finished. Maria was much more reserved, and also found herself in much less trouble the Rose was. She was 13 years of age and was considered plain, with her queer silvery eyes that were so disconcertingly penetrating, with straight reddish hair and a thin pale face. Yet her figure, small as a fairy's child and was very dignified, she also has extrodinarily tiny feet, which Maria was very proud of. Rose often told her she was like Cinderella, and only Maria could fit into the glass slippers. Although the girls were both quite different in looks they both loved each other dearly and were extremely close, even though Rose often found herself lulling in the clouds, she always listened to Maria and was very protective of her.

Then there was Miss Heliotrope. After the girls mother died when they were both very young, Miss Heliotrope looked after them, she was the closet thing the girls had to a mother. She was around her mid 60s, and grey hair had penetrated her honey brown locks, which was pinned very high up the top of her head. Miss Heliotrope also had an indigestion problem, which caused her to let out a large amount of gas. Rose would often rate them slyly with Maria, for instance the humungous burp Miss Heliotrope let out when the carriage jostled over a bump, which reached an amazing score of 8/10.

After a couple of hours into their journey Miss Heliotrope was fumbling for her charcoal tablets, Maria was finishing of her daffodil, and Rose with her head stuck in a novel, the carriage came to a stop. Digweed their driver hopped down from his seat and headed over to the gate, to unlock the barrier. Maria called out of the carriage, "what's happened? Are we almost there", but received no response, Miss Heliotrope then mutted something about Digweed being a halfwit. Just then Maria suddenly let out a scream, as two hands were upon her, trying to pull her out of the carriage. Another man dressed in black started at Miss Heliotrope, Rose knowing Miss Heliotrope could handle herself reached for Maria's waist and started pulling her back in, though the hand from above the carriage then grabbed her arm, and started yanking her out. Rose reached for the first thing she could find, a needle, and dug it across the bandits hand. She heard a cry come from outside, and her arm was released. She hugged Maria tightly as the carriage began again and continued on its journey.

They passed through twisting roads, which were like ribbons, trees which haunted their every move, and numerous village folk, who gazed upon the London carriage with awe, it seemed so alien to them. Not an hour after the attack, the carriage came to a holt. Digweed helped Miss Heliotrope out of the carriage, Maria followed, and Rose finally took a step out. She gazed around the crumbly manor of Moonacre, and acknowledged the unkept gardens of the house. It wasn't at all what like Rose imagined. She thought it would be much more...clean. In the huge, grand doorway, stood a dark figure. Rose held her breath with anticipation, for her uncle first move of welcoming them into his home. He stood into the light. He was a tall man, dark hair, finely kept, he looked like a proper English gentlemen, though he had no smile. Maria offered a handshake and she said, "pleased to meet you uncle", though it was rudely rejected. "I am Rose and this is Maria", their Uncle merely nodded his head with satisfaction, and said "yes, it's all good to meet you," completely ignoring Miss heliotropes utter protests to their attack earlier on in the day. They wandered into a dusty front hall, where a huge dog, almost wolf like, growled at their entrance, his eyes glowing red like the devil. "This is Wrolf, he can kill in an instant, though you are Merryweathers, he very probably won't hurt you." Rose's uncle continued. Sir Benjamin, led them through dusty rooms, and up the staircase, which seemed to look like it could fall apart at any second. Miss Helitrope was directed to her room down the corridor, and Rose and Maria started to follow, presuming their rooms would be next to hers. "Not you two, your rooms are in the tower." Maria's face fell, with the thought of being in a tower. Rose whispered to her "a tower" with an excited town of voice, trying to cheer Maria up. At the top of the winding stair case stood a circular room, with two tiny doors at either end. "Maria you shall be to the left, and Rose to the right," with that Sir Benjamin was off.

"Cheer up Maria, maybe you can imagine you are like Rupunzel," Rose suggested, however when she opened the door to her room, any negative thoughts had been silenced. Paintings of flowers grew up the walls, all kinds, which led to a ceiling filled with clouds, and the bluest sky you would ever see. The bed, was a double, with crisp silk pillows and satin sheets, with tiny little rosebuds embroiled on. Rose's trunk was placed at the bottom of the bed, and a fireplace opposite. Various chairs, and tables were placed around the room, and Rose decided that the one by the window would suit just fine to be a dressing table, where she could look out upon the magnificent view of Moonacre Valley. Rose changed out of her travelling clothes and hopped into bed, gazing up at the night sky through her window, she thought of her uncle. He was not the devil she had imagined on the coach, but he wasn't an angel either. He was odd. That is what Rose had decided for the moment. He acted so strangely, but blessed her with a room such as this. She slept well that night, it was the first time she hadn't dreamt of her father. Instead it was filled with thoughts of exploring the grounds of Moonacre and what lay within the forest, and all the adventures she would have with Maria examine each room within the manor.