Chapter 9

When Rose awoke, it was dark outside. A cool breeze flew into the chamber, making Rose shiver and pull up her petticoat over her arms. She hugged her knees, and wept, as a tear hit the ground a beautiful Rose started to grow. It was just like the one on top of the hill in the forest. As it grew, more Roses started to bloom, leading to the other end of the cell, where the sunlight shone on a brick in the wall. Rose managed to push herself and hobbled over to the wall. She gently pressed her hand against the brick, and as she did, the wall started to move, the bricks twisted and turned, to reveal a secret tunnel in the wall.

"A secret passage!" Rose gasped, she lent herself against the walls of the tunnel for support, and limped her way through them. She felt the entrance seal up behind her, she was in total darkness. Though no sooner then the light had gone out, numerous touches lit up her way, the tunnel seemed to go on for miles and miles. Rose seemed to be walking for about 15mins through many twists and turns before she finally saw a bit of light, she peaked round the end of the tunnel, it was hidden behind a bush, right in the centre of the De Noir court yard. She saw the exit into the forest, maybe she might be able to lose them in there. Not likely, even without her wounded ankle.

She searched around, anywhere that could help her escape, till a team of horses caught her eye. The guards attention was distracted, with a game of cards. Rose saw this as her chance, if she managed to get a horse, she could ride it back to Moonacre. Whilst no one seemed to be looking, she crept quietly behind the horses. She gently brushed herself to a chocolate coloured horse, "shhh, it's alright", she whispered. Riding was in her blood, she could get away. She hurriedly climbed onto the horse, "hey, stop the little witch", she heard the guard cry, as she set off. She turned around to see them running behind her, then turned back, and she more had come up from the front, they seemed to be shutting the gate. "No", Rose thought, she was almost there. As she galloped, she saw Robin and his gang run out, he smirked as she rode past and blew him a kiss, teasingly. He clapped sarcastically, as she raced towards the gate, she wasn't going to make it. Though luck was on her side, and Rose just made it under. She was out. Now just to find her way back.

Everywhere looked the same, and it felt like she was going in a circle, soon Rose heard the galloping and the yelling of the De Noirs behind her. She saw Robin was part of that group, and he managed to ride up to her. "You're not getting away this time princess!" he mocked, and grabbed her reins. "Want to bet", Rose smiled and she plunged her elbow down on his hand as hard as she could." Ahh, you little witch", he cried as he let go of the reins. This was her chance, she picked up the pace, and managed to lose them for a bit, but soon a tall, dark figure stood in her way, and caused the horse to throw her forward. "Ahhh", she cried, as she fell onto the hard forest ground.

She was bruised again, and had a few more cuts and was bleeding. She looked up and saw the figure of Coeur De Noir, "think you could escape so easily princess", he laughed. He chucked a sword at her, "get up and fight!" He shouted, "I want to enjoy myself", Coeur De Noir sneered. "He must be crazy", Rose thought as she starred in fear at the sharp piece of metal, she had no idea how to fight. She limped towards the sword, it was so heavy, and she was so week, she could barely raise it.

"Fight me!" Coeur De Noir shouted, but Rose couldn't, so he swung his sword down at her, but she raised hers just in time. He threw a more swings at her, each she managed luckily to avoid. Coeur De Noir eventually managed to disarm her, and cut her on the arm. "Ahh", she cried as a searing pain spread through her arm. Rose clutched the wound tightly, trying to stop the blood, Coeur De Noir kicked her down onto the floor. Rose could see more people had gathered, watching them, Robin was one of them, though he seemed to have a look of panic, rather than enjoyment, as Coeur De Noir raised his sword to just under her chin. "Any last words?" he laughed, as Rose could barely keep her eyes open.

When all hope seemed lost, Coeur De Noir went to kill her, but Wrolf jumped on him, and started growling. "It's the deamon dog!", she heard someone cry, and everyone started to flee. Coeur De Noir crawled out from under Wrolf, and went to his horse to ride away, all the while Wrolf continued snarling at everyone, his sharp fangs gleaming in the moonlight. Rose looked over to Robin, he flicked his attention between her and Wrolf, "well done princess, but this isn't over", he called before turning to run, as Wrolf made one last growl at him.

"Oh Wrolf", Rose gasped, and hugged him tightly, "you deamon dog", she laughed, quite out of breath. Wrolf signalled to her to climb on his back, so she did. It was quite a squeeze, as even though Wrolf was big, he was only just big enough to carry Rose. She clinged onto his fur, as he began to run through the forrest, till at last she glimpsed Moonacre.

She fell off Wrolf when they reached the door, she had no energy, other then to bang on the door. It opened and the last face she was of her uncle, "Rose!" he called, before it all went black.